Chapter 7: Festival of Lights

It was Diwali day, and Seher was brimming with excitement. This marked the first time in the past two years that she had the resources to introduce her daughter to the essence of Diwali, the festival of lights. She had been preparing Liam and Meher for the festival for several days, showing them an animated movie of the Ramayana to narrate the epic story of Lord Ram's victories and the significance of Diwali. The children were equally thrilled, especially Liam, who saw the story as another captivating fairy tale, with Mata Sita as the princess rescued by her prince from the beastly Ravana. Seher couldn't help but enjoy Liam's imaginative interpretations of the epic battle.

Today, the energy in the household was palpable, and Daniel sensed the excitement in the air. He had promised Seher that they would all attend a community Diwali celebration at a nearby park. Seher was eager for this occasion because it would be an opportunity to meet fellow Indians in Chicago. While she loved her life in the city and the people she worked with, there was always a yearning for the homeland, especially during festive times.

Seher had prepared quickly, wearing her most special outfit, which she had purchased with her hard-earned paycheck, albeit frugally. She had bought a large piece of cloth two weeks ago, a vibrant pink with tie-dye patterns in shades of blue and purple. With some pearls and beads, she had crafted herself, Meher, and Liam matching outfits for the festival. Seher looked stunning in her pink lehenga with blue and purple tie-dye and pearls adorning the blouse's sleeves. She had also made a miniature version without the dupatta for Meher and a kurta for Liam with the same design. With fabric remaining, she had even crafted one for Daniel. However, she decided to give it to him after Diwali to avoid any misunderstandings about her intentions.

Seher adorned herself with silver jhumkis, her kadha on her right hand, her watch on her left, and a beautiful pink bindi adorning her forehead. Today, she decided to add a touch of makeup, her lips shimmering in pink, a rosy tint on her cheeks, and her eyelids dusted with golden hues, accentuated by eyeliner, mascara, and kajal. As she looked at herself in the mirror, happiness radiated from her, and she twirled around in her lehenga, relishing the simple joy of dressing up. Her daughter, Meher, clearly shared her love for dressing up, as she saw her mother and expressed her desire to look just like her. Seher compromised on the makeup but added a touch of pink gloss to her daughter's delight. The excitement for Diwali was contagious, and the household was ready to celebrate the festival with joy and enthusiasm.

Seher carefully prepared Liam, who was utterly captivated by her as she entered his room. To him, she looked like a fairy, and as she dressed him, he couldn't resist touching her cheek and nose, wanting to stay close to her. Once he was ready, Seher took his little index finger in her hand and spun him around, exclaiming, "Oh my God, Liam, you look so handsome! You look just like a movie star, you know. Like Shah Rukh Khan in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham! You look so beautiful, so handsome!" She rambled on, making Liam's cheek turn pink with delight.

Unbeknownst to them, someone stood at the door, observing their endearing interaction. Unable to contain himself, he burst into laughter, charmed by his son's rosy cheeks and the entranced expression he had while looking at Seher. Daniel laughed heartily, and Seher and Liam turned to see him standing there.

Daniel entered the room and, recalling something he had seen in videos, joined his hands in a Namaste in front of Seher, saying, "Happy Diwali, Seher." Seher giggled and reciprocated the gesture, saying, "Happy Diwali to you too." Liam followed suit, wishing her a Happy Diwali in his American accent. The playful exchange continued, with all four of them laughing.

Daniel noticed that Seher, Liam, and Meher were dressed in matching outfits and humorously expressed his disappointment. "Seher, I'm so disappointed. You got matching outfits for the three of you but left me out? That's not right. I'd like to celebrate Diwali in a beautiful pink shirt, just like Liam." Seher chuckled and corrected him, "It's not a shirt; it's a kurta. I actually made these outfits."