Chapter 58: An Enigma

Seher, feeling the weariness from the busy lunch rush, took a deep breath. Tired and with aching legs, she couldn't help but smile a little sheepishly as she caught a whiff of spices and smoke on her shirt collar. Muttering to herself, "Phir change karna padega" (I'll have to change again), she ventured out to find only one group left, enjoying their desserts. They complimented her on the delectable Baingan Bharta and Chicken Kasturi Tikka. Almost six months since Saffron Street's opening, Seher continued to receive numerous compliments for her culinary creations on a daily basis.

Seher found herself often inundated with requests to meet the chef, catering offers, and a cascade of praises. Amidst the positive feedback, she encountered a few complaints and faced challenges with difficult customers, leading to occasional blunders. One particular incident left her in tears due to a customer's rude remarks. However, the majority of the feedback remained positive, with numerous offers for wedding catering and baby showers. Taking a significant step, Seher embraced the opportunity to host her first event, a baby shower booked by a woman, Angelica, who had visited the cafe on its opening day, showcasing Seher's growing confidence in handling events.

Making her way to the play area, Seher discovered her daughter fully immersed in coloring a picture of Moana. Watching Meher with a sense of awe, Seher marveled at how swiftly time had passed, recalling the days when Meher was a mere infant in her arms. It felt like yesterday when Seher had named her daughter. Now, at almost two and a half years old, Meher, with her ability to construct sentences in her unique grammar, had developed into a chatterbox. She loved conversing about anything and everything with everyone, an endearing quality that her grandparents, Uncle Robi, and Aunty Sia cherished. Liam, in particular, reveled in every word she spoke.

However, Seher couldn't ignore the potential dangers associated with Meher's unabashed sociability. Despite Seher's earnest attempts to impart lessons on stranger danger, reinforced with age-appropriate videos and stern discussions, Meher's friendly nature persisted. Seher had even resorted to scolding her and giving her timeouts, but these measures proved futile. The struggle lay in Meher's refusal to comprehend the need for caution and discernment in approaching strangers, creating a challenging situation for Seher as a concerned parent.

A slight frown creased Seher's forehead as she realized that it had been a month since Meher's last encounter with strangers. The memory of the previous incident lingered-Seher had administered a time-out, a stern punishment that left Meher in tears and Seher's heart aching. However, it seemed that Meher had not repeated the behavior since then.

Perplexed by her daughter's sudden willingness to talk to a stranger, Seher felt a sense of surprise and concern. Reflecting on her parenting philosophy, Seher was averse to harsh punishments and preferred open communication. She wanted to understand Meher's perspective and the reasons behind her actions. Although Meher's age presented challenges in articulating complex thoughts, Seher believed in solving things via dialogue.

What was stranger was how typically, Meher engaged with those she approached, exhibiting hesitancy when others approached her. Determined to unravel the mystery, Seher resolved to have a conversation with her daughter to gain insights into the factors that led her to interact with the stranger.

Seher's frown deepened as she contemplated the enigmatic man. According to Ashley, he exuded an intimidating presence-resembling both a Greek God and the Devil simultaneously. A mysterious aura surrounded him, leaving other patrons hesitant to meet his gaze. Despite this, something about him had captivated Seher's two-and-a-half-year-old daughter, enticing her not only to initiate a conversation but also to engage in coloring together.

The peculiarity of Meher sharing her cherished coloring book with the mysterious man heightened Seher's curiosity. Meher reserved this particular activity exclusively for Liam, making the gesture exceptionally rare. Even Seher herself wasn't granted access to the sacred coloring books.