Chapter 72: To the Sunset?

The next evening, as the clock struck 5, as the post office rush dwindled in the cafe, Seher found herself going through the details of managing the dinner service with Miles. However, Miles appeared visibly bored, having heard the same instructions repeatedly since the morning. After completing the rundown for the umpteenth time, Miles groaned, "Look Seher, I know you're the boss, and I'm younger, so pardon my language, but you are helicopter mom-ming me right now and big time."

Seher chuckled, "Helicopter what now?" Miles affirmed, "Yes, you're being a very irritating helicopter mom. I've interned in busy restaurants during my degree, and you know I handle your kitchen well. All the preparations have been done. I just need to handle the tempering and make the breads."

"Mrs. Anderson is here tonight. You can trust me, boss". She smiled at her assistant but Miles, with a serious expression, continued, "Look, Seher, in an office setting, you work Monday to Friday, 9 to 5, sometimes 9 to 8, but you still get to go home, have weekends, and enjoy holidays. With a restaurant, you don't. So, you can't be stressed about it all the time. Trust that I'll maintain the quality as per your standards, but you also need to let go, or you won't be able to live your life."

Looking at her like a parent does at a naughty child he asked, "Is that enough of a lecture, or should I continue?"

As Seher chuckled, she gently placed both her hands on Mike's cheeks and expressed, "You know, Miley, having never had a younger brother, movies and shows suggest they can be irritating and frustrating, but ultimately the most helpful supporters. Today, you made me feel that way, and I'm genuinely glad to have you on my team and in my life."

Miles met her gaze with a smile and playfully remarked, "Oh, man, you just brother-zoned me, and here I thought I had a chance with you or something." Seher's eyes widened, and Miles chuckled, reassuring her, "Relax, relax, I was kidding, okay? You're a remarkable boss. I do appreciate you, Seher, so I genuinely want you to let go and enjoy yourself."

"And on another note, I've reached out to some friends, and it appears that Saffron Street's reputation precedes it. Initially, there were eight enthusiastic individuals, and I've narrowed it down to four who are highly interested in joining us. They align with your criteria, and you can interview them on Monday. Does that work for you?" Seher responded, "Yes, Miles, it works perfectly. Thank you so much. And you know you can call me if you need anything, right?"

Miles let out a groan, exclaiming, "Oh, my God, Seher. I know this is your cafe and your kitchen, but if you don't leave right now, I'm going to hit you with a cooker." Seher giggled, exiting the kitchen to head upstairs and prepare for her upcoming date.

Seher was bubbling with excitement about this date. The last time she had been on one was the second time ever, with Daniel. They had a great time, the food was delicious, they had engaging conversations, and both evenings were beautiful. However, the lingering baggage of Daniel's wife and other complications hindered her from pursuing a relationship. Today, she had none of that, at least for the moment. Seher was simply a joyful and giddy young woman looking forward to a date, an unconventional one at that. The man who approached her was Russian, and he had requested her to wear Indian attire, leaving her curious about his plans. Additionally, her daughter would be joining them, as insisted by the said man, adding to her excitement about what might unfold.

At quarter to six, Seher was adorned in a dark blue Anarkali suit, complemented by a warm shawl gracefully draped on her shoulders. Her natural waves flowed freely as she gazed at herself in the mirror. With a watch and a kadha adorning both her hands, delicate oxidized earrings dangled from her ears. A small blue bindi graced the middle of her forehead. Seher, in a moment of contemplation, scrutinized her attire, pondering whether the dress was too dark, if the earrings leaned towards extravagance, if the bindi was perfectly placed, or if the kajal and eyeliner combination gave an unintended impression. She even deliberated on the stickiness of the pink lip gloss, concerned that her hair might cling to her lips when she stepped outside. Seher sighed, looking at herself, and opted for a pink matte lip balm, appreciating the color of her attire, a recent preference unconsciously triggered by its resemblance to the eyes of the man she was about to meet.