Chapter 39 - Conversations part 2

Before we passed through the gate I took one last look at my godmothers and Adam lined up behind the Palanquin. I wish at least one of them had been allowed to come with me.  My confidence was failing me and I was quickly realising I was out of my depth.

The guard led me down a path that meandered around beds of Oleander shrubs sprinkled with stark white blooms and purple and pink hibiscus trees. In parts the branches of tall, gnarled Maple trees spread high and wide overhead, stretching to meet each other and create a lush canopy. Delicate wildflowers and long grasses sheltered in their shadows.   

My stomach churned and my hands refused to stop shaking. I tucked them into my sleeves and tried to stay calm and composed. I repeated the things Lady Chun made me memorise. The do's and dont's of court etiquette that I needed to remember; how to bow, not to speak unless spoken to, eat tiny mouthfuls if offered food. The list was endless, don't yawn, don't cough, or make eye contact with anyone, especially the Emperor. There were so many things not to do.

We walked a little further and then turned sharply around a corner, suddenly we were out in the open. We stood on the edge of the lake on a wide gravel path that appeared to run around the edge of it.   The spot was designed to impress whoever came around the corner, to render the viewer speechless.  The first sight of the colourfully painted Haneul Pavilion sitting in the middle of the man-made island, with its backdrop of willow trees draped over the gently sloping bank, showcased the power and wealth of the Emperor.  It was the stuff of fantasies.

My reaction was exactly what was expected. The surreal scenery momentarily left me dazed. But it was nothing compared to the thrill I felt when my eyes landed on a small wharf in the foreground.  I felt my face stretch into a huge grin, and my feet moved of their own accord. As I hurried passed the guard I heard him make a small sound of surprise but it didn't stop me.

The Crown Prince Yin was standing on the wharf.  Like me he was wearing white, his hair tied in a bun with a gold dongdot. In that moment, with that glorious setting behind him, he looked every inch the future Emperor. I found that Min given the right incentive could move fast.  Practically running I made it quickly to the wharf and skidded to a halt in front of him.

Looking up at the Crown Prince I felt the most overwhelming sense of relief.  "It so good to see you, Your Highness.  What a wonderful surprise.  I didn't know you were going to be here.  Let me look at you..."  I babbled.  He returned my smile, his eyes for once not icy.  I must have looked ridiculous, the smile had permanently set on my face like the joker.  

"This is very pleasant. You haven't greeted me like this for a long time."

"Really?" I couldn't stop staring.

"Hmmm...before you fell ill, whenever I visited you would run to greet me like this, eager to see what treats I'd brought for you."

"REALLY?"  It was hard to imagine Min and the Prince having that sort of relationship.