Chapters 5 - 6 Didn't anyone teach you to knock first?

Chapter 5 - I woke up in the middle of Mr. Queen.

This morning started a little differently from the previous nine. I'm trying to keep track of the days for the sake of my sanity.  How long I've been in this room before becoming aware is still a mystery.

I was happy, I could feel the smile on my face as I looked out the car window at a pretty stretch of country road. Mum and I were in my bomb of a car singing along to Michael Buble's Sway. Eventually, it registered that she was sitting shotgun, which was weird.  Instantly, I realised I was dreaming. Mum would never sit in the front passenger's seat.  She prefers the back because she doesn't trust my driving. In her mind, those extra few inches, and the handbag she clutches to her chest, will somehow protect her if we plough into an 18-wheeler due to my incompetence.

My happiness disappeared in a flash, along with it went the image of my fingers around the steering wheel and the pleasant scenery. I don't dream often but when I do it lifts my spirits. For a while, I can see again. As quickly as the dream faded I was back in my room, in my bed, immobile, broken. I lay there in the darkness waiting for the shuffling footsteps, the hushed conversations between the night nurses and the ones who bathe and dress me.  I've learned you can get used to anything, even incense strong enough to singe your nose hairs. Then there's the bells that tinkle as they tend to me, I barely take notice of them anymore.  One thing I particularly hang out for is the gentle pat on my cheek and "Min" whispered in my ear. Joan greets me the same way every morning.  No idea why, my name is Erin.  Whatever floats her boat.

....

So I was back in my bed, clean and freshly dressed.  I was glad for some time alone when all hell broke loose.  I could hear loud, excited voices coming from somewhere in the building and they were moving closer.  Then the sliding door to my room was pushed open so hard that it smashed against the door frame.  I heard Joan trying to quieten the mob.  All I could catch was "...he was back.  After so long....he was back."   It reminded me of school girls at the back of the bus squealing over some cute boy.  It went on like that for a while until Adam's normally soft voice broke into the mayhem.  "You're behaving like children."  I'd never heard him angry before and they stopped immediately.  "Get out.  Shameless.  You are all shameless."   

I got the impression he was pushing them out the door.  I was curious who they were talking about, a celebrity or a movie star.   This was the most excitement I'd had in forever.

Then things got really interesting...the sudden silence was filled with the sound of bells and a thin crack of bright light appeared where there had been complete and unrelenting darkness for so long.  It was like a curtain had been opened a fraction to let in the sunlight.  My vision was returning.  The surprise was so intense, the happiness so violent that my instincts kicked in and I gasped, at least attempted too.  Muscles that hadn't worked for what felt like months made a strained effort.   What came out of my mouth was more of a growlish burp but it was better than nothing.  My body was remembering what to do.  I blinked once, twice. The thin line of light grew and I could see moving shadows.  Adam was the first to reach me, Joan, a close second.  "Min?" 

Before I knew what he was doing Adam pulled me up into a sitting position and Joan cradled me in her arms.  

My vision was blurry but I could make out her face when I turned my head weakly in her direction.  My first impression of Joan, the comforting voice and soft hands that had taken such good care of me, was of a motherly round-faced woman with pale translucent skin, as smooth and flawless as a young girl but with all the world weary stoicism of middle age in her dark eyes.  Her dark hair was pulled back severely into a tight bun and she was Asian.  What she was wearing through me.  I hoped it wasn't a sign that I'd finally lost my mind.  Would anything ever be normal again?