Chapter 24 - Make a Good Impression - Epic Fail

This is a long chapter and I still don't feel I got the dialogue right.  May get edited more tomorrow. It's nearly two in the morning and I can't think anymore.

When I finally looked away from the Prince and pushed all thoughts of his strange behaviour out of my mind, I turned to look at our guest and her entourage. It was a tableau scene from a melodrama, the pivotal moment when the arch-villain is introduced into the plot.

Our guest didn't arrive in a traditional palanquin. Instead, it was a boxlike carriage that could hold four people comfortably, pulled by two stocky Jeju horses. The coachman was a burly soldier in full black leather armor.  An escort of 8 Imperial Guards on horseback surrounded the carriage.   You would think it was the Empress herself arriving, not one of her inner circle. Gin Ae-Cha, a Senior Court Lady and Matron of the Palace wanted to make it clear she was a power in her own right.

Do-Yoon and Yung-So were at the bottom of the stairs.  They greeted the Senior Officer before taking their positions on either side of the carriage door.  Do-Yoon pulled down a set of steps and opened the carriage door.  He stood aside and everyone waited.  It suddenly dawned on me that this elaborate show of power was not only aimed at me and my godmothers, but also Crown Prince Yi.  I turned to look at him when no one appeared at the doorway and the seconds passed.  The corners of his mouth were turned down, he was angry.  For a change I found myself on his side.  This was bordering on disrespecting the future Emperor.   If anybody was going to do something like that, it was going to be me. 

Having learned a few tricks from my attention seeking mother over the years, I yawned as loudly as I could.  The sudden noise had the desired effect.  Every head turned away from the carriage and onto me. I gave them all a bored look.  "Sorry." My blush was almost convicting.  Everyone frowned at me.  Lady Chun threw daggers with her eyes. The Prince  saw through my ploy. The tiniest smile curled the corners of his mouth.

 It was at that moment Sang-gung Gin Ae-Cha exited the carriage.  She had missed her cue and her chance of being the center of attention, not one pair of eyes were on her.  I would have loved to tell her "that is how you steal the scene".

It was the rustle of silk that reminded us why we were standing there.  When I, like everyone else, looked back at the carriage, the first thing we saw was a cloud of blue silk, a petite foot in an embroidered shoe, and a pair of angry eyes.  We all immediately bowed low and stared at the floor until she was out of the carriage.  Only the Crown Prince remained standing tall and proud.  I couldn't help but peek at Lady Gin.  Her black slanted eyes were fixed on him.  The air between them sizzled.  There was definitely something between those two.

When Lady Gin moved to stand at the bottom of the stairs two maids appeared from inside the carriage and stood on either side of her.  They deftly lifted her skirt.  Each offered an arm to rest on as she climbed the stairs.  Her eyes never left the Prince and he unflinchingly returned her gaze.  I was intrigued.  

With all the pomp and ceremony you would expect of a royal occasion, Sang-gung Gin Ae-Cha made her way to stand in front of Crown Prince Yi.  

We bowed deep from the waist, while she curtsied demurely, with her hands folded and her head tilted forward slightly and to the side, to display her charming profile. She was the quintessential ingenue.  Lady Gin and His Highness exchanged formal greetings and then before The Prince could present Lady Chun and myself, Lady Gin deftly manoeuvred him away from us.  She offered her hand which he couldn't refuse and they headed towards the main hall, leaving us in her wake.

I have been very pointedly put in my place.  If Lady Gin thought that dissing me would send me sobbing into my pillow she's mistaken. 

.....