The Sanctuary: Pt 3

"Run! Run Mara!"  My mother yelled

"Run! Run Mara!"  My mother yelled. "Don't stop running!"

My eyes snapped open and I looked around. I was in the barn on a cot. I went to move when a burning pain shot through my body. I groaned.

"Easy kid." A modulated voice said.

I looked over to my side to see Mando, sitting in a chair next to the cot.

"Mando?" I asked, trying to sit up. "What happened?"

He helped me sit up before speaking. "We defeated the AT- ST and the Raiders." Then he sighed. "I thought we said you wouldn't do that, Creature thing anymore."

"Did anyone see me?" I asked in a panic. I had been so worried about the Mech I forgot about that secret.

"No, the fog concealed you enough."

I sighed in relief. When I looked back up I saw Mando's visor was still looking at me. In the reflection I could see my face, bruised and red.

"Why didn't you stay with the kids?" He sighed.

"I couldn't." I muttered, looking back down. I knew this conversation would come.

"Why?"

"I didn't want to lose another home....." my voice wavered. "I couldn't."

He sighed again. Then helped me lay back down. "Get some rest kid, I'll have Omera get you some food."

~🌗~

After a week Mando finally let me out of bed. As soon as my feet hit the dirt I ran to the other kids. Winta met me half way and dragged me to the other kids. They all told me about the Roar that they heard the night of the battle.

Whoops.

Around lunchtime I headed back towards the barn. The Child was too busy chasing a frog to bother with food, surprisingly.

Omera passed me on my way. "I left you some food inside."

"Thanks!" I chirped.

I heard Mando speak as I rounded the corner to the barn. "I'm leaving them here. Traveling with me that's no life for a kid. I did my job there safe. Better chance a life."

"Your leaving us?"

Mando quickly turned to me. My eyes were welling up with tears as I stared the visor down.

"After everything you're just going to abandon us?! Abandon ME?!" I shouted.

"Kid-"

"JUST GO! I HATE YOU! LEAVE!" I turned on my heal and ran.

I didn't know where I was going, I just ran. Low hanging branches slapped and clawed at my face. I ended up tripping over a root and collapsing onto the ground. I shouted up at the sky in anguish and cried.

After a moment the sound of a twig snap caught my attention. My head jerked up and I locked eyes with a Hunter. A blaster aimed directly at me. The sound of a tracking fob filled my ears. The hunter flexed his finger, ready to shoot, but the sound of another blaster beat him to it. He fell to the ground, dead, behind him Cara stood.

Mando arrived within moments. He looked over at me, checking to make sure I wasn't hurt. When I nodded I was ok, he turned his attention back to the hunter.

He used his boot to flip the hunter back over. The beeping of the tracking fob got louder. Mando picked up the fob and held it tightly in his hand.

"Who's he tracking?" Cara asked. Even though it was quite obvious.

"The kids." Mando looked back over at me. I stared back.

"They know they're here."

"Yes." He looked back at the fob.

"Then they'll keep coming."

"Yes." Mando dropped the fob and crushed it under his boot.

Cara whispered something to Mando before heading back to the village. Mando lifted his visor back to me and just stared. He couldn't leave us here now, that was clear. But he was still going to, that's what hurt.

"Ki-" He started.

"Don't!" I snapped, standing up. I stared him in the visor before sighing and starting to walk back. "I'll grab him."

~🌕~

Mando had everything packed back up in the cart. The child stood on the cart while I stood just before it. A crowd had gathered to wish us goodbye.

"Are you sure you don't want an escort?" Cara asked Mando.

"I appreciate the offer, but we're gonna bypassed the town and head right for the Razor Crest."

"Well then, until our paths cross." She held out her hand.

Mando took it. "Until our paths cross."

Then Cara turned to me. "You make sure to keep these two out of trouble for me, ok?"

I nodded with a weak smile.

She stepped closer. "Hey? He cares a lot more then he lets on."

I smiled a little more genuine. He went to step away but I rushed forward and wrapped her in a hug. She was taken aback for a moment, then hugged me back.

I pulled away and she patted my head before walking away.

Winta ran up and hugged me tightly. "I'm going to miss you so much."

I hugged back. "Me too."

She pulled away and walked back over to Omera, who had just finished talking to Mando. She smiled kindly at me.

I nodded and climbed into the cart. The Child garbled up at me and I pet one of his ears. He crawled into my lap as the village got farther and farther away.

I looked over and saw Mando sitting next to us. He hadn't said one word to me since the hunter. I think he could tell I was still upset. But I couldn't stay mad at him forever. Even if he was about to abandon us, he was doing what he thought was right.

I sighed and leaned against his arm. The Child already asleep in my lap. His helmet turned down to me and for once his gaze seemed soft.

"I'm sorry, kid." He said, his voice quiet.

"I don't hate you." I replied.

Soon we arrived back at the Crest. I helped him load everything back inside the Cargo Hold. Once everything was strapped down or put away, we headed into the cockpit. I held the Child in my lap as Mando guided the ship out of the atmosphere.

I glanced back down at the green planet. "Will we ever come back?"

"Maybe one day, Mara."

I smiled slightly and nodded.

3rd Person Pov:
As the Razor Crest zoomed through the stars it became clear to Mando. The Kids were stuck with him. And even though he would never admit it out loud, he was kinda glad they didn't have to say goodbye.

Little did the trio know, the client and his alley were becoming increasingly desperate to get the assets back. The bounty on the kids had increased. Time was running out.

——————————————•—————————————
AN: I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I accidentally erased this one, so I had to rewrite the whole thing. Please let me know if I missed anything!
Wc: 1123
Thank you for reading!
K out!