47

Raven had stayed in the cold until kind hands had come looking for her. Lady Jane, naively, pulled her mantel and wrapped it around Raven's shoulders motherly. She wasn't cold but the woman must have forgotten what she was and it was alright.

"Dear child. We have been looking everywhere for you. I had to ask your dragon where to find you. He wouldn't tell anyone else."

"I wanted to give you time to grief."

"I'm not grieving."

"mmh." Neither of them was convinced.

"The prince practically begged him but he wouldn't speak unless I was left alone with him in the room." She fixed the mantel so that Raven would be perfectly covered. "I must say, to be in a room with something so majestic will forever be the most thrilling experience of my life."

well, that explained why he told her.

Then she smiled gently and muttered. "And the humblest too."

Raven would have returned the smile if she didn't feel as if the whole world had crumbled.

"Your grace." Lady Jane's dark emerald eyes squinted. "What is it? You look unwell."

"I just had to do something that cost me more than I was ready to give."

"You did the right thing." Retorted her dragon, reassuring her.

"It doesn't seem as If you wanted to do it."

"I didn't."

Lady Jane then puffed her dress and instead of standing, she crossed her legs under herself and sat in front of Raven, taking her hands in hers.

"Was it something important?"

"Yes."

"You look terribly heartbroken, your grace. Are you sure it was worth it?"

She nodded looking at Zeus that was becoming curious of Raven. He pecked her on the cheek and she leaned on him for comfort.

"It's okay if you don't feel like sharing with me what is it that it's troubling you. I will not force you. But I will listen to you no matter the gravity of the matter."

"I-"

She couldn't bring herself to say it. she wanted him to know first but when the time had come, he had turned defensive and she had turned cold. And if he couldn't hear it what was the point of telling everybody's else.

"Did the king do something that upset you?"

"The king?" Raven questioned confused and Lady Jane cleared her throat.

"My bad, I should be more specific. Did the king of Twistal say something wrong?"

How.

"How do-"

"Milady, I can be many things. Reasonable at times, stark and also very patient. But for the love of Myra I've never been blind in my life and everybody saw the way you looked at him. the prince better than most. He was like a dog who's chew toy was about to get ripped off his fangs. Not pleased in the slightest."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"It's okay." She reassured, her tender hand found raven's cheek and she brushed it gently. "We can't always help who we fall for."

"I can't even help who I will marry." She retorted scoffing. "And I'm most certainly do not have feelings for Zed."

Raven's hands rush to her lips like a child who had let out a secret she shouldn't have.