Chapter 31

Nick wakes up late and he finds Enzo naked and curled up to him, sleeping. Yesterday was a long day. They had some intense sex when they got to Nick's new apartment last night. Caroline went to Elena's dorm to sleep. He combs his fingers through Enzo's hair and the Augustine vampire moves around and his brown eyes flutter open.

"Good morning, love," he greets.

Nick pecks Enzo on the lips. "Good morning," he greets in return. "We're having breakfast with Caroline."

"Blondie," Enzo mumbles. "Let's go shower and we can go."

"Together to save water?" Nick asks.

Enzo nods. He kisses Nick deeply and they go to the bathroom.
********

"Do you understand the rules?" Caroline asks Enzo. She's willing to be his friend if he listens to her. And there's this party thing. Nick's not going because he's going to study, but Enzo is.

"Yeah," Enzo replies. "Rule 1, don't mention Elena was madly in love with Damon or you'll kill me," he says and Caroline nods. "Rule 2, don't really reference Damon at all or you'll kill me."

"Yup."

"Rule 3m wear sunscreen and —"

"Don't make fun of me," Caroline scolds and Enzo smiles a little as Nick chuckles. "It's important that we let Elena live her new, happy, problem-ignoring, zombie life the way she wants."

"A sentence that sounded oddly supportive and judgmental," Enzo says.

"That's Caroline," Nick says. "You get used to it."

"Shut up, Nick," Caroline scolds and he shoots her a wink. "I do support Elena," she continues. "Sue did what she needed to stop chomping on innocent people on the road. It doesn't mean that I'm enjoying marinating all alone in my misery."

"Then we'll marinate with you," Enzo says as he motions between himself and his boyfriend, who nods in agreement.

"I appreciate it, guys," Caroline says. "Really, I do."

"But I'm not Stefan," Enzo says.

"Rule 4," Caroline says, "don't ever mention that jerk's name again or ..."

"Or you'll kill me," Enzo interjects. "Got it." He gets up and he offers Nick his hand. "Don't worry," he says to Caroline when she sees the blood. "Even with bags, I'm a messy eater. Come on, love. I want some more of you before you go to the local library."

Nick grabs Enzo's hand and he gets out of the booths. "I love you, Caroline Forbes," he says to her.

"I love you, too, Nickolas James," Caroline replies.

Nick and Enzo leave. Caroline huffs at the two, but she can't help but smile.