Chapter 24

Extremely short.

Katherine didn't die. She took over Elena's body. And Elijah didn't go back to New Orleans right away with Klaus. They're all standing around with Kathlena.

"Nickolas," Elijah speaks. "This one's yours."

Kathlena straightens. "I'm not angry, Nicky," she says. "I understand why it's you. I ruined your life. It was my fault you didn't find peace with Lee. I gave you my blood. I..."

"Tell her," Elijah demands. "I know what you did, Katerina. Make this kill easier for him."

"What did you do?"

"I..." Kathlena pauses. "I told the police that you were gay, Nicky. They knew where Lee would kiss you. It was always the same alley."

"I don't want to kill her so bad, it kills Elena."

"I'll stop you before you go too far," Elijah promises. He flashes over and he grabs ahold of Kathlena's arms. "Trust yourself, Nickolas. That is the only way this will work without Elena dying, too. Trust yourself and your power."

Nick grabs her face. "I love you, Kathy."

The girl tears up. "I love you, too, Nicky," she says. "I'm sorry I turned you in."

"You got Lee killed," Nick whispers. He caresses her cheek. "I will never forgive that."

Nick looks at Elijah. Damon watches as she looks at him for reassurance. He wonders how much the two moved from 1950 to 1955. Elijah nods. Nick focuses and he starts to siphon. Kathlena gasps as she tenses up in Elijah's arms.

"What about this?" Stefan asks as he shows Elijah the Traveler's blade.

"Put it someplace secure," Elijah says. "Okay, Nickolas, Katerina is dead."

Nick releases Elena and the vampire goes limp in Elijah's arms. Elijah quickly gets her to the couch. He checks his phone when Klaus texts him.

"I must leave now," Elijah says. "I'll be in touch."

"Are you actually leaving this time?" Nick asks.

Elijah nods. "I am. Niklaus needs me back in New Orleans." He gives Nick a gut clenching kiss on his lips and he leaves.

"That's probably the last we'll see him," Damon says.

"I know," Nick replies. "This time... it felt like goodbye." 

Damon squeezes Nick's shoulder and they turn back to Elena. Nick relaxes. He knows he just saved her and he's thankful that Elijah stopped him before he killed her, too. He then remembers Lee and he deflates and he leaves.

"Nick!" Damon calls but Nick continues on. he sighs.