Chapter 40

„Why did he hit you?" Sophie continued to question. She was in pure shock, not expecting this turn of events.

Ann looked at Joe, whose seemed to be trying to come up with something to say.

„It was my fault." He said with a weak smile.

„Why?" Sophie frowned.

„I provoked him. Said a little too much."

„Jesus, but why?"

„I just..." he sighed. „I don't like the guy."

„Joe, I know that Ann is like a little sister to you. And I get that you're worried about her. But he's good for her." Said Sophie, putting a hand on his knee.

„Maybe you're right. Maybe I judged him a bit too fast." He said looking at Ann, who gave him a weak smile.

„Come on, let me get you cleaned up." Sophie said, helping him stand up. He groaned in pain, his back hurting from the impact of falling.

Ann followed them behind and went to the kitchen to grab herself a bottle of water. She felt her phone vibrating and it was of course Josh. She declined and sat on the couch. She didn't want to interrupt Joe and Sophie, so she scrolled through her social media to pass the time.

Josh kept on calling her, but she declined every time. She shouldn't be this mad at him, after all, he stood up for her. Yet, she was mad at him for hurting Joe. She hated violence. Seeing Joe like this made her heart ache. She saw Josh was texting her too, trying to get her to call him back, but she kept on ignoring him.

Joe and Sophie came back in the room. There was no sign of blood on Joe anymore, he had a fresh black T-shirt on and a band-aid on the cut on his cheek.

„Fresh and clean." Sophie said, smiling at Ann.

„I feel so bad." Ann said, brushing a hand through her hair.

„Don't." Joe shook his head. „It's not your fault."

„I brought him here."

„Yeah, but you didn't punch him. They need to sort it out between each other." Sophie said, grabbing two bottles of water from the fridge and passing one to Joe.

„What a day." Ann sighed, pushing her head back.

„If you're too tired to go back to your hotel, you're more than welcome to stay here." Sophie said, sitting next to her and putting her head on Ann's shoulder.

„Thank you." She smiled at her and than at Joe who smiled as well.

„Okay, I'm gonna go pack." She sighed, standing up.

„Pack?" Ann frowned.

„Yeah, I have a plane to catch in three hours. I have a meeting in New Jersey at 6 am. But I'll join you guys at the show."

So she was going to stay in here without her? Alone with Joe? That can't be good.

She went to her bedroom and Ann and Joe sat quietly next to each other on the couch. Joe noticed how she constantly rejected someone's call.

„Is it him?" He said, making Ann look up at him.

Fuck, he's so close.

"Yeah." She sighed, quickly looking down, avoiding his eye contact.

"Answer it."

"I don't want to."

"Ann, don't be mad at him."

"I am! He hurt you." She frowned.

"I'm okay." He laughed. "You're cute when you're so worried." He said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.