Chapter 17

„What a house!" Her mom said in awe. „How long have you lived here?"

„Well, I wouldn't call it living... But I bought it like six months ago." Said Joe, fixing a vase on a dresser.

„You don't live here?" Sophie frowned at him.

„With all the traveling I'm doing, I can't really. I have a couple of houses around US, but... This one is different. It's special. I always thought it will be my forever home." His face dropped and Ann saw a change in his voice as he said it.

She knew he was meaning his ex girlfriend. She never got him to talk about her, but she knew who she was. The beautiful Sophie Turner. It really seemed as though he was still hurting. They had an on and off relationship and from what she saw in the media, they even got engaged, right before they broke up for good.

„Okay, enough talking! Let's eat." He clapped his hands and plastered a smile, that Ann could read right away as fake. Sophie and Jazz went into the kitchen and Ann pulled Joe's hand.

„Are you okay?" She said with a concerned voice.

„Fine." He gave her another fake smile and kissed her cheek. „Come on."

When they went into the kitchen they were met with a chef that was flipping something on a pan.

„Guys, this is Antonio." He came up to him and put a hand on his shoulder. The man waved shyly and got back to his work. „I love this man. The best lamb you'll ever have, trust me."

„Joe, but... I'm vegetarian." Ann chuckled. It never came up in a conversation. He had no right to know, so she was more amused than angry.

„Oh shit..." he looked really petrified. He looked at Antonio whose eyes were even bigger.

„Relax!" She laughed at them. „It's not a big deal if I eat meat once a year."

„No, ma'am. A special meal for the special lady coming right up." Said Antonio and took out a cabbage from the fridge.

They sat at the counter in front of Antonio and watched him cook, amazed at how fast he was cutting all the ingredients. In the meantime, Joe brought a bottle of red wine and poured all of them a glass.

„You have no idea how happy I am, that we have a free day tomorrow." Ann laughed as she took a sip of her wine.

„I'm finally going to get my friend back." Jazz squeezed her hand.

„Not for long, unfortunately." Ann gave her a sad smile. „We leave in the evening."

„You know you're welcome to any show, Jazz." Joe said from behind her. „You too, Sophie of course."

„Thank you Joe, but these two days were definitely a lot for me. I'm going to need a break." Said Sophie. „But I'll definitely come when you'll be in Jersey!"

„Wait, you're from Jersey?" Said Joe with a smile. „Me too!"

„Oh my gosh!" Sophie gasped. „And I thought I couldn't like you any more."

Ann just rolled her eyes. The chef was finishing the dishes just as they were finishing the bottle of wine.

„I'm going to get another one. Feel free to sit at the dining table."

They moved to the table, acknowledging the amazing smells coming from Antonio's pans. Sophie and Jazz said next to each other while Ann sat in front of them, leaving an open space next to her for Joe. He came back with another bottle and smacked his lips as he got to the table.

„What is this table situation? I wanted to sit next to Sophie!" He threw his hands in the air. Ann's mom pushed her head back in a laugh, while Joe took the seat next to Ann. „Joking." He smirked at her.