Chapter 39

Ann decided what she had on would be enough, so she just went upstairs to grab her bag. Josh came with her, not leaving her side for a second.

„You sure you're okay about this?" He asked.

„Of course." She smiled at him, trying to hide the fact that she was totally not okay. „I told you it's in the past."

„Yeah, I know, it's just... Weird."

„Yeah, I mean, I can't not have contact with him. We work together. And I'm friends with Sophie." Ann shrugged.

„As long as you're comfortable." He smiled, lightly stroking her shoulder.

„Let's go." She said, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

Joe and Sophie were already waiting in the car. They were sat in the back and Josh decided to sit in the front as he was bigger. To her luck, Joe was sitting in the middle seat, so as she sat down, her body was basically pressed against him.

Her body trembled, just by feeling the warmth of his body. Joe cleared his throat and shifted in his place uncomfortably.

The ride was quiet and awkward. With every turn their bodies pressed more against each other and Ann just wanted to get out of there.

Finally the ride came to an end and Ann almost ran out of the car. They got into the elevator and Ann wrapped herself around Josh's arm looking for some comfort. He chuckled and kissed the top of her head.

They reached Joe's apartment and Ann started to take off her shoes.

„You want something to drink?" Josh asked Ann.

„I'll bring her." Joe said, walking into the kitchen area. „What do you drink?" He said referring to Josh. „Is tequila okay?"

„Sure. Thanks."

They sat on the couch, Sophie joining them. Josh put a hand on Ann's knee, making her smile at him. They started some small talk with Sophie, until Joe joined them with drinks. He passed Ann a glass and Josh frowned.

„Orange juice?"

„Virgin mimosa, stupid." Ann chuckled, making Joe smile.

„Thank you, babe." Sophie said, taking a glass of tequila from him and turning to Josh. „So, are you coming to any of the upcoming shows?"

„Actually... It was meant to be a surprise, but fuck it. I cleared my schedule for the next week. So if you're okay with it..." he said turning his attention to Ann.

„Are you serious? Of course!" Ann laughed, hugging him. „Joe, could we get him VIP?"

He rolled his eyes. „Sure."

„I'm so excited!" Sophie said, clapping her hands. „You're going to love it."

„I'm sure I will." He nodded. „I didn't get to hear her sing yet."

„No way!" Sophie gasped. „Oh, she has one of the most beautiful voices. Right, Joe?"

Joe snapped out, clearly lost in his thoughts. „What?"

„Tell Josh how you found out about Ann."

„Well..." he said, shifting in his place. „She played backup in a band that I went to see. And I instantly fell in love..." he stopped, locking eyes with her. Ann's eyes grew wide and he quickly snapped out. „With her voice, of course." He laughed nervously.

Ann felt Josh fixing his hair nervously as Ann looked at Sophie who didn't seem bothered at all. Was she really that oblivious or was she just pretending?