Chapter 28

„Can it wait until the evening?" She looked up at him. „I want to enjoy the day, while it lasts. Besides I don't want anyone interrupting us."

„Whatever you want." He gave her a reassuring smile.

„You need to talk with Sophie. I hate to be the reason you guys are fighting."

„You're not the reason, Ann." He shook his head.

„But I am. You're in LA, because of me." She sighed.

„I'm in LA, because I wanted to." He corrected her. „Stop blaming yourself."

Ann sighed again and looked up at his hazel eyes. She studied his features admiring his long eyelashes and bushy eyebrows. She could never get bored by the view of his face. A smile crept onto her lips.

„There it is." Joe smiled, making Ann smile wider. „You look better with a smile."

Ann chuckled, looking down. Suddenly a realization hit her. She was in her bikini and talking to her bare chest ex boyfriend on her bed. Her heart skipped a beat. All she had in her head was Sophie. She knew they didn't do anything wrong, they were just trying to remain friends, but the connection between them was still visibly strong and it was hard to deny it. It was hard for Ann to be alone around him. She cleared her throat and crossed her arms, almost as if trying to hide her body.

„So... Mimosas?" She smiled, looking up at him.

„Mimosas." He nodded with a smile as well and they went downstairs. Ann's mom was in the kitchen, starting on the dinner.

„Oh there you are." She said noticing them. „Everything okay?"

„Yup." She walked up to her and grinned, seeing the ingredients spread around the counter. „Are you making your special lasagna?"

„Oh yes I am."

„What's so special about it?" Said Joe walking up to them and grabbing a bit of the shredded cheese.

„That's what makes it special. Nobody knows." Said Ann, grabbing some as well.

„Interesting... Can't wait." Joe wiggled his eyebrows. He rubbed Ann's back, before going to the backyard to finish the drinks he started.

„I would give anything to have a kitchen like this." Said Sophie.

„I promise you, one day I'll buy you a house with the biggest kitchen in the world." She smiled, hugging her from behind.

„Oh, baby." She laughed. „Why would I need that just for myself?"

„Mom, I told you're going to live with me."

„You know I hate to be trouble..."

„You were never a trouble to me." Ann said, resting her head on Sophie's shoulder.

They stayed like that, Sophie rubbing Ann's head. She felt nothing but love and warmness. And a feeling that maybe it was a good time to tell her.

„Mom..." she started.

„Yes, honey?" She turned around to grab milk from the fridge.

„I..." she stuttered, unable to find her words. Her mom frowned and walked up to her, putting her hands on her shoulders.

„What's going on?" She knew exactly something was wrong. Ann sighed as she gathered her words in her mind.

„Are there any fruits left?" Jazz came in, wiggling the empty bowl in her hand.

„Of course, sweetie! Let me make you some more." She ran up to her and grabbed the bowl from her hands. Ann rolled her eyes as Jazz approached her.

„What?" She frowned.