Shauntal - Coworkers

Start from the beginning

[Name] pushed himself off the shelf and walked over to stand behind Shauntal, who hasn't noticed her presence yet. She was too focused on writing. [Name] leaned over her, reading the words over her shoulder. "Getting a little spicy there aren't we?" He suddenly said. Shauntal could've died right there. Usually she wasn't frightened easily thanks to her ghost types. They liked to try and scare her. But she always seems to get spooked by [Name].

"Ah! [N-name]!" She exclaimed trying to close the book. [Name] just stood there with a not so innocent smirk on his face. "Aw c'mon. You promised I could read it?" He laughed. Shauntal's face burned. "But..but..." "Tell you what, I'll skip the spicy scenes ok? I'll read it while you put these returns away? I'll come help when I'm done." He gestured to the trolley of books again. It had gotten larger with people coming in to return their books. 

Shauntal looked from the pile to her book. She sighed, she had promised. And she could look forward to working side by side with [Name]. That doesn't happen very often. "Ok...just skip the spicy scenes!" She said, her voice a little higher than normal. But she got up and [Name] took a seat while she pushed the trolley of books deeper into the library. She sought to work right away putting books back in their proper place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A while later, [Name] shut the book with flushed cheeks. He did as promised and skipped the spicy scenes, but he did accidentally get a glimpse of one. And he couldn't help but imagine it was him and Shauntal. [Name] quickly shook his head stood up. Work. He needed to focus on work. Shauntal still hadn't returned with the trolley and the library was still empty, so he stood up and went to go find his crush.

Shauntal was piling a few books into her arms. She had eventually found Chandelure and Glaceon in the classic literature section, the section with the highest bookshelves. So much so that the library had one of those sliding ladders that only library staff could use. If any patron needed a high up book, they had to ask a librarian to get it down. Too many ladder races and falls, they just ruin it for everyone don't they?

"You two be careful!" She called to the two pokémon, just loud enough where they should have heard her. If they did, they didn't acknowledge it. She began ascending the ladder with four books in one arm. She'd done this a hundred times before. 

Down below, Chandelure was chasing Glaceon up and down the aisle. [Name] rounded the corner as Shauntal reached out to put a book back and Glaceon tried to run around the trolley, but mistimed it, knocking into the bottom of the ladder, making it slide down a bit. [Name] ran, "Watch out!" He  yelled, fear evident in his voice. 

Shauntal wobbled, not braced or ready to rebalance. The books fell from her arms throwing her balance off even more. The sliding of the ladder made her foot slip from under her...and she fell. She slipped too far from the ladder and couldn't get a grip on one of the bars. And her pokeballs were in her bag at the front desk, Chandelure couldn't catch her. She squeezed her eyes tight and braced herself for the landing. But it never came.

She hit something hard, but still softer than the library's old floors. A pair of arms cradled her under her legs and her back. She heard a grunt of exertion, "Oof!" When Shauntal opened her eyes again, [Name] was looking at her with fear and worry. "Are you ok!?" Shauntal felt her face redden. "Y-yes I'm ok...thank you [Name]..." Her heart was beating a mile a minute. Between the adrenaline of falling and being in the arms of her crush. She wasn't sure her heart would hold out.

She thought he would put her down so they could scold the pokémon, but his grip on her seemed to tighten. She looked at him, and it looked like the gears were turning in his head. "[Name]-" She started, but he cut her off. "Go out with me!" He exclaimed, his voice echoing in the empty building. Shauntal blinked. "W-what?" She asked quietly.

[Name]'s face was red, "I-I've liked you for a long time! Please go out with me!" His voice was so firm and serious. Shauntal was sure her face matched his. She wrapped her arms around his neck to pull herself up a bit on his arms. "I...I like you too! I would like to go out too" She smiled. [Name] grinned and started laughing. A joyous laughter that made Shauntal giggle as well. He spun her around in his arms carefully. Glaceon and Chandlure spinning too. Happy for their trainers.

[Name] was on such a high. He stopped spinning her, and in a spur of the moment decision, pulled her closer and kissed her. Shauntal squeaked in surprise at first, but quickly reciprocated. It was the kind of kiss she had only read about in books. So soft yet so full of passion and love. 

They both knew in that moment, sharing a kiss among the old dusty books, that this was meant to be. That they were meant to be more than just co-workers.

You could say that Shauntal really fell for [Name].