Hugh - Crashed the Wedding

Hugh x Female Reader

Song: Crashed the Wedding by Busted

Hugh stared down at the letter in his hand. His knuckles were turning white from how tightly he was gripping the cardstock. Why would she even send him this? Was she trying to make him upset!?

'To Hugh,

You are cordially invited to the wedding of [Name] and Nate on January 12th onboard the Royal Unova at Castelia City.

Please mark who will be attending and circle the dish you'd like to be served.'

Why in the world would she send him an invitation to her wedding. Was she that cruel?

Hugh groaned and ripped up the invitation, tossing it in a nearby trash bin. He fell back onto his bed, staring up at the ceiling mournfully. Hugh had already made his decision, even if it hurt them both. Hugh closed his eyes hoping sleep could help him forget about his pain. But his dreams had another idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hugh held [Name]'s hand tightly in his own as they walked around the carnival. He had the biggest grin on her face while hers was filled with anxiety. She was constantly looking over her shoulder as though someone, or something, was following her. "Hugh, if dad finds out..." She couldn't finish the sentence.

Hugh and [Name] had been together for three years. They were incredibly happy together, loved each other more than anyone had loved anyone else. But, Hugh was a bit of a free spirit. He didn't like the idea of 'jobs' and 'working'. It's not like he needed too though. Hugh was smart when it came to pokémon battles, and would win money easily that way. But to [Name]'s dad? This wasn't going to fly.

Hugh grinned and pulled his lovely girlfriend closer to her.  "Don't worry about your dad babe, I've got enough money to cover this date. And I don't care if he catches us." He stopped them both and gently squeezed her shoulders, "I love you, and nothing, not even your dad will ever change that." He smiled so sweetly at her. She blushed and smiled, "Ok...I love you too Hugh." She leaned in and kissed him softly. Together they were able to spend the rest of the day together and happy.

The plan was to drop her off back at home, safe and sound. Because Hugh would never let his girl get hurt. He would make sure she got inside, then slip away without her dad noticing. But when they approached the house, her father was standing outside on the porch, visibly angry. 

"Dad-" "Inside. Now." Her father cut her off. [Name] gazed sadly at Hugh, slowly sliding her hand out his. Unknowingly for the last time. "Bye Hugh..." She said sadly, then walked inside without looking at her dad. Hugh turned to leave to, but her dad called after him. "I want to speak with you." He said sternly. Hugh turned around again and nodded, moving closer, keeping his face neutral.

"I thought I told you before I didn't want my daughter around you." He stated, crossing his arms. Hugh clenched his fists, trying to keep his voice steady and calm. "I don't believe that choice is up to you. It's up to me and [Name]. Don't you get that I love her!?" Hugh's voice rose slightly. [Name]'s dad saw one of their neighbor's peeking out the window. He groaned in annoyance. "I get that my daughter thinks she's in love with you, but look at you. No job, no ambition, no future! What kind of life is that for her!?" Hugh gaped at him, but the sting of the truth set in.

Hugh had never thought about it that way. He always had enough money to take her out on small dates, but anything bigger than that he'd have to save for. Hugh looked at the house, it was a really nice house. Hugh knew [Name] was more used to this kind of lifestyle, and right now he just couldn't provide that. For the first time ever, Hugh doubter how happy he could make her.