Madeline-Grace Cancer

Read Adopted By 1D first to understand better if you want. You don't have to but just a thought.

Louis and Harry were on a 2-month vacation in the Bahamas. They didn't have any cell service and no way to contact Liam and Niall while they were gone. Their adopted son, Jace, was 3 and staying with the others in London. Liam's daughter with Sophia, who had died, was named Madeline-Grace and she was 13. The day after Louis and Harry left, Madeline-Grace was admitted to the hospital. She had been sick for some time. She had had a very rough time and now she was diagnosed with cancer. It seemed like the world was against her. A month later, she lost her hair from chemo and the medicine.

"Daddy, I don't like this. It sucks," Madeline-Grace said one night. Louis and Harry were going to be home that night.

"I know baby. It's going to be Ok."

"I heard the doctors, Dad. They said I'm going to die," she said sadly. Jace looked up from playing with Niall on the floor.

It was quiet from then on. Madeline-Grace was thinking about that day. Most days and nights were spent in the hospital, but she could be home for the next week or so.

Jace got tired and Niall offered to put him to bed so Liam and his daughter could talk.

"Do Lou and Harry know that I have cancer?"

"I have texted them but you know they don't get cell service and they wont get the message until they land in the UK." Liam looked at his beautiful daughter, who was lying on the couch with her head in his lap, and couldn't help but fall in love with her all over again.

"Oh. Well when they get home tonight, can you send Louis up to say goodnight? Harry can come too I guess." Madeline-Grace always had a preference of Louis over Harry. Louis was very loving and calm when he was with her. She didn't like Harry as much as Louis because he tended to be a bit louder than Louis.

"You love Louis don't you?"

"Well yea. And Harry."

"Mmh I know." Liam went to run his hands through her hair and then pulled back. Madeline-Grace felt him touch her head and looked up at him. "Sorry baby."

"It's Ok Daddy." She reached up and grabbed his hand, interlocking her fingers with his. "How long will it take to feel good again?"

"I don't know baby. I wish I could take all the hurt away."

"It doesn't hurt as much as I just don't feel well. What's it called again?"

"Leukemia. The doctors said you will get sick easier and not be able to do much of anything."

"No more basketball or football?"

"Not for a while baby. Not until you get better and you are well again." Madeline-Grace nodded sadly and Liam frowned. "Why don't you go get ready for bed and I'll be up in a little bit."

"Ok. Send Louis up when they get home."

"They land at 10:00 and should be home by 10:20. So like half an hour."

"Thanks Dad." Madeline-Grace went up to her room and started to read her book when she heard the door slam.

"Hey Louis! Hey Haz!" Liam said as his friends walked through the door.

"Hey!"

"Madeline-Grace is up in her room and wanted you to come say goodnight. Did you get my text?" Louis was already running up the stairs and into her room.

"No my phone is dead!" Liam cringed and followed him. "LIAM JAMES PAYNE, GET UP HERE!" Louis screamed upon seeing Madeline-Grace. Liam appeared at the door. Madeline-Grace was hiding under the covers. "What the hell happened?"

"Come here Louis." Liam pulled him into the hall and closed her door. "You know she has been sick. She was put in the hospital the day after you left-"

"No, no, no, no, no. This is not happening."

"She has leukemia. I tried to text you but you didn't have service and then your phone died. Now go back in there and apologize for screaming. She was so excited for you to come home."

"I will go back in, but first one question."

"What is it Lou?" Liam asked, exasperated.

"How much longer?"

"About a year. She could beat it. But hers is so bad already it is unlikely. We will talk later." Louis nodded sadly and went back into Madeline-Grace's room.

"Hey baby." She stayed under the covers. Louis laid down next to her and got under the covers. "You Ok?"

She sniffled and looked out from the covers. "You think I'm ugly," she cried. Louis's heart broke. Liam was standing in the doorway and heard her say this. Harry appeared and Liam closed the door to talk to him.

"No I don't," he said softly, cuddling her to his chest.

"I understand if you don't want to see me again."

"Baby, listen. I love you. You are beautiful. I want to spend every second I can with you." She looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

"I don't want to die."

"You're not going to. I wont let you." She fell asleep holding onto Louis. He left a little while later and went to go talk to Liam and Harry and Niall.

"Start talking."

"Round one of chemo is over. She was staying at the hospital up until this past Saturday. 5 weeks long. Round two will start in a week or so. She is having 10 rounds they think. She really just needs us to be there for her. She is going to start getting sicker and sicker. We honestly just need to look out for her and always be there when she needs us. Basically, her red blood cell count was really low and after chemo it is supposed to get better."

Niall looked at Liam and then spoke. "It's going to be really hard but we can get through it Ok?" Louis and Harry nodded. "She has about a year predicted for her. After that year is up, it is not likely that she will live longer." Louis had tears streaming down his face.

"Louis, you can't let her see you cry, Ok? We need to be strong for her." Liam was looking at him.

"I know. I'll be Ok. I just don't want her to get sick."

"None of us do," Harry said.

"We'll protect her."