48. Bigger Fish To Fry

(Lorelei's P

(Lorelei's P.O.V.)

My eyes were burning with unshed tears as I stepped out from behind the curtain, watching as Damon walked towards the main entrance. My eyes locked with Edward's for a brief moment; he was practically burning a hole straight through me, but there was a sorrow in the depths of his eyes that made my heart lurch.

"Oh. And one more thing," Damon hummed as he spun on his heels, walking backwards and smirking devilishly. "You may want to check the utility closet.."

My breath hitched in my throat. I shot him a glare before storming towards him, looking up at him with undaunted fury. I paid no mind to the curious stares of my friends as I grabbed Damon by his shirt and hissed in a whisper, "What did you do?!"

His cold blue eyes were lit with amusement, glinting mischievously. "I didn't do anything, Princess."

The sound of him calling me 'Princess' in an icy tone that was void of emotion caused my chest to ache. This couldn't be happening..

He arched an unenthused brow and spoke dully, "I'd advise you to step away."

I blinked rapidly, stunned, before releasing my grip on his shirt. Edward seemed to appear out of nowhere, hovering over my shoulder and scowling at Damon with a look of hatred.

"I'd advise you to stay the hell away from her," Edward growled, snaking am arm around my waist protectively.

Not this again.

Damon scoffed, staring at Edward with a blank expression as he responded, "I don't do well with threats. You'd be wise to remember that, sol-walker."

Sol-walker? What? My eyes darted back and forth between them. Edward was clearly vexed; his jaw was clenched, and fire was dancing in the depths of his eyes. Damon, however, appeared perfectly calm.

Sol-walker. I felt like I've heard that from somewhere before, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Edward's grip around on my waist tightened; my heart responded immediately by going into overdrive.

"Keep your distance from now on," Edward finally spoke in a low, chilling voice as he shot daggers at the stoic vampire standing in front of us. "I assure you that if any harm comes to her by your hand, there will be no threats. Simply action. Action that will end with a stake straight through your heart."

A gasp flew through my lips at his words, my mouth falling open in shock. If I had any doubts about him knowing something before, they were certainly gone now. Heat flooded my cheeks as a whirlwind of emotions coursed through me. I was one-hundred percent lost.. Edward was making it quite clear that he knew what the Salvatore brothers were, so why was he behaving so brazenly towards them? Doesn't he realize that they could end his life in the blink of eye? Did he just not care? Or was it simply good old-fashioned ignorance at play?

Damon was (unsurprisingly) unperturbed. This was Damon we're talking about-Even if he had his humanity, he would still make a mockery of the threat.

Damon held a hand over his heart in faux terror before releasing a deep, humorless chuckle and saying, "Ouch. And here I thought we were getting along so well."

With a final humorless smirk, he spun on his heels and strode away, exiting the building with a dramatic flair. Damon's comment echoed in my mind, taunting me- 'You may want to check the utility closet'.

I stepped away from Edward, breaking the contact that had my mind in a haze. Glancing around the auditorium, I could see that everyone had already started on their tasks. Ric met my bewildered gaze and frowned. Judging by the look on his face, he knew something was up. I hesitantly looked up at Edward, who was still rooted in the same position, towering over me as though he was ready to shield me from a stray bullet.

"I'll.. be right back," I said to him, avoiding his burning eyes.

As I started to turn to walk away, he reached out and gently grabbed my clothed arm, holding me in place. The simple contact had my skin on fire beneath my shirt. I couldn't help but wonder what his touch would feel like on my bare skin on more intimate areas of my body. I quirked a brow at his stoic face, my eyes flickering to his.

"You keep saying that," he spoke in a low whisper. "Wherever you're going, I'm going with you."

I narrowed my eyes at him, unsure how to take that exactly. "To the bathroom?" I challenged.

I was hoping he wouldn't see through my lie. Judging by his defeated expression, he didn't.

His jaw ticked in annoyance. "Alice will go with you."

My mouth fell open. Now, he was just sounding downright ridiculous. "I don't think so," I was quick to say. "Like I said- I'll be right back."

What is up with everyone thinking that I need a damn babysitter?! Alice was as petite and dainty as they come, and Edward wanted her to escort me to the bathroom? I was beyond confused and frustrated at that point.

"Very well," he responded, his voice sounding strained.

Before any more words could be said, I swiftly exited the auditorium, practically running down the adjoined hall that led to the bathrooms and making a left-hand turn down a deserted hall where the utility closet was located. My heart was in my throat as I stood outside the closet.