26. Anyone But You

But what would you do if I went to touch you now?What would you do if they never found us out?What would you do if we never made a sound?

What would you do if they never found us out?
What would you do if we never made a sound?

'Cause I can see you waitin' down the hall from me
And I could see you up against the wall with me
And what would you do, baby, if you only knew?
That I can see you
-

-I Can See You by Taylor Swift

(Lorelei’s P.O.V)

As I walked into the library, I couldn’t help the wave of guilt that engulfed me for several different reasons. One of those reasons being that I had only asked Jimmy to study with me so I could try to get my hands on that book of his. Another reason being that I had to say no to spending time with Edward.

I cherished every moment I spent with him, truly. Especially given the fact that I knew our friendship would come to a tragic end soon.

Jimmy was sitting at a table in the center of the library. It wasn’t exactly discreet. He had his head in his book— the book I was so desperately after.

“Hey, Jimmy,” I greeted him quietly as I sat down across from him.

He lifted his head for a split second to greet me. “Hi.”

He begrudgingly closed the book and pushed it aside. I eyed the aged cover. ‘Mythologia Historiae’ was the title.

“So, what exactly were you needing my help with anyway?” He asked me with an odd look.

I pulled out my notebook and a pen before meeting his stare. “Oh, um.” I paused, considering if I should try flattery on the boy. “Prob and stats isn’t really my thing. I’m not that great with… numbers. I can tell you’re really smart so, I figured you’d be the perfect person to help me.”

He raised his brows in a skeptical manner before adjusting his glasses. “Really? You seem to be doing fine to me. If I recall correctly, your last exam grade was even better than mine.”

I bit my lip anxiously. This was going to be harder than I thought. Before I could think of a response, he had something else to say.

“Besides, aren’t you and that Cullen guy really close? He’s at the top of the class. Why wouldn’t you just ask him for help?”

(Edward’s P.O.V)

I tucked myself into a dark corner of the library. I was sitting in a leather recliner next to a shelf full of autobiographies that were collecting dust. Lorelei was seated in the middle of the library. I had a direct view of her angelic face.

She had no idea I was here. Hopefully, I could keep it that way.

“Prob and stats isn’t really my thing. I’m not that great with… numbers. I can tell you’re really smart so I figured you’d be the perfect person to help me.” She told him in a low voice.