36. His Bella

(Edward's P

(Edward's P.O.V)

My world stopped spinning. No. No! Jasper attempted to numb me from the pain, like lidocaine. Damon's words kept repeating in my mind- animal attack.

Animal attack. Bella. My Bella. Alice placed her hand in mine, trying to comfort me. Lorelei's eyes fluttered as the color drained from her face.

"No," she breathed out. "Is she going to be okay?"

Lorelei sounded panicked, which only added to my current panicked state as well. Damon frowned.

He ignored her question. "Let's go."

Lorelei didn't hesitate as he started leading her towards the exit. She locked eyes with me. I saw fear flash across her face as she looked at me. I was sure my face was a sight to behold.

Before they were even out of the building, I was dialing Carlisle.

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

As we got into the car, I turned to face Damon. He was pulling out of the parking lot with a solemn expression.

"What happened?" I asked weakly.

When he said 'animal attack', I knew what he meant. But how? Who? Why?

"I don't know," he spoke in a soft voice. "Ric found her unconscious beside the parking lot. She's lost a lot of blood. They were loading her into the ambulance when I got there."

My stomach churned. "Why?"

He knew what I was asking. Why would they target her? He shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know, Lorelei. Could be just bad luck. Ric is all tore up," he told me with a frown.

"I can imagine," I mumbled; my heart lurched. "Are you going to give her some of your blood?"

His mouth pulled down at the corners as he gripped the steering wheel. "If I need to. If that's what Ric wants."

"Of course he'd want you to. To save her," I told him.

The only way she would turn was if she died with vampire blood in her system, so I didn't see what the big deal was. He glanced over at me.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll just have to compel a lot of people to look the other way when she recovers miraculously. Including her."

I sighed. "Ric doesn't want her to know anything."

"No."

I pursed my lips. "She's probably full of vervain. You'll have to wait until it leaves her system to compel her."

He rolled his eyes. "Well, that complicates things."

***

Ric was sitting in the waiting room with his head in his heads. I knelt down in front of him and wrapped my arms around him in an embrace.