42. Realization

(Lorelei's P

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

Ignoring the intense looks from Edward and Damon, I turned to Stefan. "I'm going to go ahead and head to class. Here," I forced my car keys into his hand. "You can pick me up at four."

He looked down at me with furrowed brows but said nothing. I shifted my weight nervously from one leg to the other.

"Are you alright?" I questioned him.

He didn't seem like himself. He nodded once and gave me a half-hearted smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. I smiled back and wrapped my arms around him in a quick embrace.

"I'll see you later," I told him before I started walking to class.

I walked directly past Damon and Edward in the process, choosing to ignore their burning stares. I made to my way to class which I was about twenty minutes early for. I took my seat by the window and started digging through my bag for my notebook.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" Edward's voice washed over me like water.

I stiffened. My heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest as I looked up into his honey-gold eyes. Emotions were swimming in their depths and I feared I would drown- mermaid or not.

A forlorn look took over his face before he spoke, "If you'd still prefer to have your space then I understand."

My lips parted as I tried to force myself to speak. I was sure I looked like a fish out of water as my mouth open and closed.

He slowly shifted his body away from me and frowned. "I see. I'll find another seat." He sounded dejected; hurt.

"No," I finally blurted out, my cheeks reddening.

He carefully met my gaze. A whisper of a smile played on his lips. I blinked rapidly at his gorgeous face.

"You can sit here," I breathed out, finally managing to compose myself. "It is your seat after all." I offered him a kind smile.

He seemed to breathe a sigh of relief before sitting down beside me. My heart was speeding away in my chest. I nervously started twisting a curl around my finger as I stared down at the table.

"So, no one claimed my seat in my absence?"

I shook my head and met his golden gaze. "No."

My eyes fell to his lips and I was instantly reminded of our last encounter. He was going to kiss me. He was actually going to kiss me. Were we just going to act like that never happened?

"About the other day..." He trailed off.

Apparently not. "We don't.. have to talk about it," I told him in a whisper.

His eyes burned into mine in that moment and I couldn't breathe. The intensity of his gaze set my entire body on fire. Why, oh why, didn't I just let him kiss me? Deep down, I knew why. If I had allowed that kiss to transpire, my feelings for him would only deepen which I couldn't have happen. I was already in too deep as it was. So, unfortunately, my sensual fantasies surrounding him would have to suffice.