39. Grudges

(Lorelei's P

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

I paced around the living room anxiously as I waited to hear back from Damon. I hadn't seen him or Stefan since on the boat this morning. Damon had called a few hours ago telling me that they may not be back today. Apparently, Stefan was feeling too guilty to even face me and Damon didn't trust that he wouldn't have a complete meltdown if he was left alone.

I had gone for a quick swim to try to clear my head but to no avail. I was so wound up, I was practically shaking. The conversation I had with Edward earlier kept playing on repeat in my head. He admitted to having feelings for me then proceeded to tell me that we couldn't be together? I didn't understand.. But deep down, a part of me did. He still had feelings for Bella. I couldn't fault him for that. Despite how badly I wanted to deny it, I knew that I still had feelings for Damon as well. Perhaps Edward was right. We couldn't be together. I could only hope that space and some time apart would help me clear my mind.

A loud banging on the door caused me to jump several feet in the air, interrupting my pacing. I couldn't stop the surprised squeal that escaped my lips. Flames erupted from my palms instinctively. I took a calming breath, causing the fire to dissipate.

"Open up, Lorelei. Geez." I heard Damon's annoyed voice call from outside.

I practically flew to the door. I opened the door without even touching it; my abilities had a mind of their own due to my excitement. Damon and Stefan stared back at me from the porch. I launched myself into Stefan's arms and wrapped my arms around his neck in a tight embrace. I could feel Damon's eyes on me as I did so. Stefan hesitantly hugged me back at first. I gripped him tighter. He chuckled lowly before tightening his grip on me and picking me up and spinning me around in a child-like manner. A delighted giggle bubbled up my throat. Oh, how I had missed my best friend.

"Enough with the welcoming committee," Damon mumbled bitterly.

Stefan gingerly set me on my feet and released his hold on me. I smiled up at him- a genuine smile.

"I missed you so much," I told him with full sincerity. "So so much." I paused and narrowed my eyes at him before playfully smacking him on the arm. "And I was also so worried! Don't you ever disappear again!"

"You disappeared first," he reminded me with a grin.

I shook my head and laughed. "You knew where I was. Don't even."

Damon's jaw dropped. Anger flashed dangerously in his eyes. I gulped.

"You mean you knew where she was this whole time and you didn't tell me?!" Damon shrieked at his brother.

Stefan raised his hands as if to surrender. "She didn't want you to know. Of course she told me."

Stefan left out a piece of the story- I had initially invited him to join me here in Maine which he declined. Damon was shooting daggers at the both of us.