46. According To Plan

(Lorelei's P

(Lorelei's P.O.V.)

"You don't have to do this, you know," Stefan commented, clenching his jaw as he looked me up and down.

I had on a black form-fitting cocktail dress and a pair of matching heels. My hair was pulled back in a clip, with a few stray curls framing my face. I was struggling with the zipper when I locked eyes with his forest green orbs that were burning a hole straight through me.

"Ric and Bella aren't even together, Lorelei," he reminded me, his lips tugging down at the corners in a frown. "Why are you doing this?"

I sighed heavily, my shoulders slumping forward as I continued to struggle with the zipper.

"Because-" I gritted my teeth in frustration as I failed, once again, to zip up the dress.

He pressed his lips into a thin line, clearly fighting back a smile, as he watched me battle with my dress.

"Would you like some help?" He offered, a small smile stretching across his lips.

I breathed out forcefully and nodded. "Please," I mumbled as I spun around, putting my back to him.

I felt the air in the room shift as he sped towards me in a blinding speed. My breath hitched in my throat when I felt his cold fingertips lightly caress my bare back, causing goosebumps to erupt beneath his touch. I swallowed hard against the sudden lump that had formed in my throat. He oh-so-slowly zipped up the dress, being sure to ghost his fingertips across my flesh as he did so. Surely, he didn't mean to. I convinced myself that much.

His hands gripped either side of my arms as he leaned across my shoulder, putting his lips dangerously close to my ear. "He doesn't deserve you," he whispered; I shivered involuntarily when his breath fanned across my neck.

My heart stuttered at his words. I blinked slowly before tilting my head to look back at him. His green eyes were lit with emotion.

"I have to do this, Stefan," I spoke in a voice that was barely above a whisper. "I promised him."

A scowl crawled across his face, twisting his features into that of a grimace. Still, he didn't release his hold on me. "And how many promises has he broken, hmm? You owe him nothing, Lorelei. Nothing."

He sounded hurt; angry. "Edward-" I had barely spoken his name when Stefan cut me off mid-sentence.

"You don't owe him anything either. You owe both of them absolutely nothing," his voice was firm as he spoke; his hold on my arms tightened slightly before he dropped his hands to his sides and stepped back.

I hesitantly turned around to face him, studying his eyes that were full of sorrow. He placed his hands in his pockets and offered me a half-hearted smile.