30. Jericho

(Edward's P

(Edward's P.O.V)

Bella looked up from her book and locked eyes with me. Her big, brown eyes fluttered and confusion etched across her face. I allowed myself to gaze upon her face from afar. Seventeen years have passed since I had last seen her. She still looked very much like the young teenage girl that I had fallen in love with, yet she was different.

Her features seemed hardened, as though time had taken a toll on her. I noticed the faintest of laugh lines framing her eyes as though she had experienced years of joy and laughter. Her dark hair was short and angled, framing her face and pointed chin.

A lump formed in my throat at the sight of her. My mind and body felt numb. I could faintly make out the sound of someone calling my name. I felt a hand on my shoulder, shaking me forcefully.

"Edward!" Alice's voice pierced through the foggy veil of my mind.

I slowly averted my gaze from Bella and met Alice's terror-stricken eyes. I could feel Jasper manipulating my emotions, hence why I felt numb. I knew the second he stopped, I would crumble like the walls of Jericho.

"Let's go," she urged in a soft voice as she grabbed my hand.

The numbness penetrated the very core of my being, but I could still feel the darkness beneath the surface. I cautiously stole another glance at Bella and couldn't help but grimace when I saw a man sit down beside her. He casually wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her in close for a brief moment before releasing her with a smile. He wasn't Jacob.

I didn't miss the diamond ring on her finger; she was engaged. I scowled despite the numbness still being present.

I jerked my hand away from Alice's and stormed off in the direction of the woods. All I knew was that I needed to get out of there. I heard Alice and Jasper call out for me but they knew better than to follow.

The second I was no longer in Jasper's mental reach, my entire world started shaking. The walls I had spent the last seventeen years building to contain the darkness crumbled and gave way. Blinding pain stabbed through my chest causing a scream to break through my lips. I took off running as quickly as my legs could take me, but no matter how far I ran, the pain wouldn't cease.

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

With a deep sigh, I stepped out of my car with my bag thrown over my shoulder. I couldn't stop myself from scanning the parking lot for Edward. After he stormed out of my house, I figured he was upset with me. His erratic mood swings were starting to get under my skin.

When I rounded the corner, I saw Alice and Jasper standing side by side with blank expressions. I approached them with a small smile.

"Hey, guys. Have you seen Edward? I was going to-," I paused mid-sentence as I took in the horror in their eyes. "Is something wrong? You two look like you've seen a ghost."