44. Trouble In Paradise

(Edward's P.O.V)

Guilt coursed through my veins as I followed Bella out of the restaurant, but curiosity had gotten the best of me. She, too, believed Ric was keeping something from her. My ears were quick to pick up on Damon's voice. They were on the other side of the restaurant, talking quietly amongst themselves next to the awning leading to a back exit.

"They're over there," I said to Bella, pointing in their direction.

She jutted her chin in a defiant manner before walking towards them. I reached out and gently grabbed her arm, stopping her in her place. The gesture felt like a natural thing to do; I hadn't given it a second thought. She looked up at me with a look of confusion.

"I can get us closer without drawing attention to ourselves," I whispered as I looked up towards the roof.

Her brown eyes widened before she nodded. Still holding onto her arm, I led her to an area without any prying eyes and held my arms out for her. She inhaled a deep breath before she gave me a firm nod, giving me permission to swoop her up in my arms. It felt... odd having her in my arms again. I feared that touching her would set off a frenzy of emotions, but, thankfully, it didn't. I was perfectly calm and collected. It didn't feel like I was holding my ex-lover in my arms; she felt more like a dear friend to me in that moment. A dear friend that I loved dearly, but my heart no longer yearned for her in that way. Her scent washed over me, but I hardly noticed the burn in my throat. After spending so much time with Lorelei, Bella's scent hardly fazed me at all. Holding her bridal style, with one jump, we were on top of the roof. I carefully set her to her feet and kept a close eye on her as we approached the ledge where we could peer over and see Damon and Ric as they whispered harshly between one another.

Damon was pacing back and forth and running a hand through his hair repetitively.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," Damon hissed with wild, frantic eyes. "What the hell are we going to do, Ric?! She won't just leave."

Ric's thoughts were guarded as he studied the visibly frustrated man. "You may not be able to give her a choice, Damon. If Klaus finds her..." He trailed off, his words getting lost in transit, not wanting to finish the sentence.

Klaus. There was that name again. Who in the hell is Klaus?! I attempted to sift through Ric's thoughts, but I was met with resistance. It was as if his thoughts were being protected somehow-As if Klaus was off limits. Damon groaned quite loudly. He was tense; I could tell that this Klaus guy had him on edge which worried me immensely. He seemed to fear the mysterious man-And I had a feeling that there wasn't much that Damon Salvatore feared.

Bella opened her mouth to speak, but I put a finger to my lips, signaling for her to keep quiet.

"Why in the hell is he even looking for her anyway?! That's what I don't get! He doesn't know anything about her!" I could tell it was taking great effort on Damon's part to keep his voice down.