07. Rules

||Edward's P.O.V||

The next day, I pulled into campus and forced myself not to look for her. It was going to be different from here on out; I was determined to make it so. I managed to stop myself from being thirty minutes early for class today so I wouldn't be tempted to break the rules I had set for myself.

Rule #1: Don't allow myself to be alone with her.

Rule #2Don't carry on a conversation with her unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.

Rule #3: Don't make eye contact.

Three simple rules.

I owed my family this much. I took a deep breath and headed towards class. As I walked into the classroom, I was sure to hold my breath. Since I wasn't planning on talking with her today, I wouldn't have to deal with the constant burn her scent cost me.

I saw Lorelei sitting in her usual spot next to the window; the seat beside her unoccupied. She was wearing a pale blue blouse that offset her creamy sun-kissed skin. Her golden hair was nestled in a messy bun on top of her head; a few stray curls framed her face. Her hairstyle exposed her fleshy throat, causing fresh venom to fill my mouth.

Her beauty was enough to take my breath away. As she started to turn her head to meet my gaze, I quickly averted my eyes. I knew her pale blue blouse would compliment her eyes perfectly and I couldn't afford to see for myself.

Panicking, I started looking around the room for an empty seat. To my dismay, there weren't any. Everyone was already paired up for lab. That's what I get for being late. Still, I knew I couldn't sit beside her- not only because of my new set of rules but also because of how lovely she looked today.

I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of her. I also knew I couldn't handle sitting beside her with her throat perfectly exposed like that. It would be a recipe for disaster.

I frantically started scanning the thoughts around the room. I could still feel Lorelei's lingering gaze. She was confused by my behavior. My thoughts settled on two young guys that were seated at the very back corner of the room.

Perfect. That would be about as far away from her as possible in this classroom. Their thoughts alerted me that they were very well aware of the fair-haired beauty seated across the room.

I mean, how couldn't they be?

I strolled over to their table and offered them a small smile, being careful not to show too much of my teeth so as to not frighten them, as I took in their dorky appearances.

One of the boys had shaggy red hair that clearly hadn't been washed recently. I noticed the sweat stains under his arms and cringed at the idea of forcing Lorelei to sit next to someone who would 'smell' by any human's definition.

The other boy seemed to be quite the opposite. His sandy hair was slicked back to his head using gel; a tornado wouldn't disturb a single hair on his head. He had wide rim glasses (clearly, a strong prescription given the thickness of the lenses). He had a slightly acidic smell to him that burned my nostrils- meaning, he wore way too much cologne.