17. Siren's Call

Can't take it back once it's been set in motion

You know I need you for the oxytocin

If you find it hard to swallow

I can loosen up your collar

Cause as long as you're still breathing

Don't you even think of leaving

--Oxytocin by Billie Eilish

(Edward's P.O.V)

My arms gently wrapped around her warm, delicate body before she fell to the ground. I cradled her head against my chest; the warmth of her body enveloped me.

"Lorelei! Lorelei! Look at me!" Panic surged through me.

Zeke was hovering beside me, almost as panicked as I was. His friends had disappeared into the crowd, quick to get out of there in case authorities were called. I had to stifle a growl as I remembered the vile, repulsive thoughts Trevor possessed towards Lorelei. He wanted her and he wasn't the type to take no for an answer.

I wasn't able to handle the thought of leaving Lorelei unprotected, especially with a potential rogue newborn on the loose, so I chose to keep my distance and watch her from a far. Thank goodness I had.

When I saw that she wasn't feeling well, I thought about showing myself and offering to take her home but thought better of it. I didn't want her to think I was stalking her, even though I was. Then, the second Trevor made his intentions towards Lorelei clear, I could no longer hide in the shadows.

Lorelei's eyelids slowly started to flutter. I held my breath anxiously as she barely opened her eyes.

"E-Edward?" She stuttered out breathlessly.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Yes, Lorelei. I'm here," I spoke in a soothing voice.

Her heart rate quickened immediately when she woke up enough to realize the predicament she was in. Now that I knew she was in no immediate danger, I too was starting to feel the effects of having her body pressed against mine.

I gently maneuvered her so that our bodies were no longer touching, though I still had my arms wrapped around her. She lifted her head and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Lorelei! Oh my gosh!" Zeke started rambling on anxiously.

I looked over at him. "Go get her some water, please."

He narrowed his eyes at me but obliged.

Of course he gets to be the hero. I just get to be the water boy, he thought bitterly as he ran off in search of water.