08. Stalker

*WARNING* There is some sexually explicit content in this chapter.

||Edward's P.O.V||

I was driving myself crazy. I hadn't talked to her in two days now but as each second ticked by, I could feel myself growing antsy. My skin felt like it was crawling. I hadn't seen her since Thursday when I told her we couldn't be friends.

I kept replaying that conversation over and over in my head. Seeing her face so full of despair made me wish that I could take it all back. I so wished I was good enough to be a part of her life in some way. I so wished I wasn't destined to kill her if our friendship continued.

I paced back and forth in my room, running my hands through my hair continuously. Jasper couldn't stand to be around me anymore; I was so on edge. Esme was worried about me. She was afraid that I was going to sink back into my black pit of despair that I had just recently clawed my way out of. She did have reason to worry. I could feel the darkness trying to break free from its fragile cell. It wouldn't take much for it to escape and send me spiraling once again.

All I wanted to do was see her. I just needed to be able to see her angelic face and breath-taking smile, even if it's just from afar. That's all it would take to keep the darkness at bay.

I could handle that much, couldn't I?

That wasn't part of the clearly defined rules I had set for myself. Well, one of the rules was that I couldn't be alone with her. But if I'm simply gazing at her from afar, perhaps through a window, then does that really even count? I didn't think so. At least, I told myself it didn't.

All I knew was that I had to see her. With that thought in mind, I jumped out the window and started running through the woods as fast as my feet could take me. I reached her house in less than two minutes. I found a hidden spot in a tree about twelve feet from her front porch and perched myself there.

The rhythmic sound of her heartbeat was like music to my ears. She had her curtains drawn back so I was able to see inside her place. She had a plush gray couch in her living room with a dark mahogany coffee table that looked like it had seen better days. She had a small flat screen TV hanging on the wall that wasn't turned on. There was a bookshelf nestled in the corner that was overflowing with books. To my surprise, she had an old piano sitting in that same corner.

I had no idea she played piano. Of course, how could I have known? I had never asked her such questions. That's when it hit me that I really didn't know that much about her. Now, with my new rules set in place, I would never get to. A frown staked its claim on my face at the thought.

I could hear 'clinks' and 'clanks' coming from her house so I guessed she was going to start cooking. She hadn't made an appearance in her living room yet so I looked for another tree that had a better view of the kitchen window. Luckily for me, the curtains in the kitchen were also drawn back.