03. Ominous

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

I slept not so soundly in my new bed last night. For me, there's no place like home. How unfortunate that this place didn't feel like home to me yet. I raised my arms over my head and stretched like a cat waking up from a cat nap before making my way to the kitchen. I grabbed the other half of my uneaten sandwich that Edward so kindly got for me before walking out on my front porch.

It was going to be a beautiful day today. It was overcast but it was already fifty degrees at nine in the morning. Today would be a perfect day to go exploring. I scarfed down my sandwich and ran back inside.

I threw on an old pair of jeans and a comfortable t-shirt before throwing my hair in a messy bun on top of my head and brushing my teeth. I put on some deodorant before all but dancing out the door. I started making my way through the forest with a smile on my face.

I closed my eyes and listened to the birds' beautiful song as they sang together in harmony. Their song seem to whistle through the trees as a soothing breeze blew across my face. I kept walking, on and on, through the woods. I didn't know how far I was planning on going before turning back.

I always felt as though I was one with nature. I never felt more at home than I did when I was running through the woods, listening to the forest critters as they go about their day.

I don't know how much time had passed or how far I had walked before I made it to a small stream that was in a small clearing. I knelt down beside the stream and drank some of the refreshing water.

All of a sudden, I felt as though as I was being watched. Not watched, but stalked. I felt as though any second, a predator was going to show itself and attempt to make a meal out of me.

I quickly stood up and mentally prepared myself for a potential fight.

"Who's there?" I called out loudly, hopefully in a threatening manner.

I heard soft footsteps and a gasp flew through my lips as I saw no other than Edward Cullen appear from behind the trees.

Relief washed through me. I knelt down and placed my hands on my knees for a second while I tried to slow my breathing. My heart was beating like a drum in my chest due to the adrenaline surging through my veins.

"Oh my gosh, Edward! You nearly gave me a heart attack," I gasped out between breaths. "I thought you were some sort of predator."

At this, I noticed a small smirk playing on his lips. "And what sort of predator did you think I was?"

I stood up and started walking towards him. I gave him a puzzled look when he took several steps back.

"I don't know. A mountain lion. Or maybe a bear. Something big and scary, that's for sure," I told him with a small smile.