50. According To The Prophecy

Edward's jaw went slack, clearly struggling to process the newfound information

Edward's jaw went slack, clearly struggling to process the newfound information. He furrowed his brows, looking me up and down with wide, curious eyes.

"You don't look like a mermaid," he commented.

"How's a mermaid supposed to look?" I chuckled, leaning against the tree.

"I mean- For starters, you have legs." He smiled sheepishly.

"Try getting me wet and see what happens," I joked, throwing my head back and laughing when his eyes grew to the size of saucers. "I didn't mean it like that, Edward," I assured him after recovering from a minor laughing fit at his aghast expression.

"Right," he breathed out, chuckling nervously as he ran a hand through his hair. "So, you're a mermaid."

"Yep."

He pursed his lips, appearing deep in thought. "I'm sorry. I don't know much about them. I.. never knew they even existed, to tell you the truth."

I offered him a small smile. "It's okay. I don't know much about them either. They're... pretty rare. And besides, I'm only half mermaid."

He tilted his head to the side, quirking a brow, signaling for me to continue.

"Um.. I never knew my parents. Apparently, my mother was a siren. She gave me up the day I was born due to a prophecy," I explained, pulling my lower lip between my teeth.

"A prophecy?" He studied me with intense eyes. "What sort of prophecy?"

"'She who carries the sun and moon shall be the savior of those with which darkness taints their souls'. It goes something like that anyway." My gaze dropped to the forest floor, staring at a random stone as though it held the answers to everything. "My mother believed I was destined to be the 'savior'. I have no idea who my father is, but evidently, he isn't exactly human."

A look of horror fell over his face. "So.. You're a savior who is supposedly destined to do.. what?"

"I don't know exactly," I was quick to say. "I honestly have no idea. According to the prophecy, when I turn twenty, I will peak. I'll somehow reach my full potential. That's when.. That's when everything will start to unfold."

He shook his head, his jaw clenching. "How do you know any of this is even true, Lorelei? And even if it is, how do you know that you're the savior that they're talking about?"

I released a heavy sigh before turning around, my back facing him as I slightly pulled down the back of my shirt, exposing the birthmarks that decorated the area between my shoulders. I heard him gasp, the air shifting as he approached me. My breath hitched in my throat when he lightly traced the birthmarks with his fingertips, leaving a fiery trail in the wake of his touch.

"What-" He inhaled sharply before exhaling slowly, his cool breath fanning across my exposed flesh, causing my heart to stutter and a delicious shiver to travel down my spine. "What are these? What do they mean?"