41. Brooding

(Lorelei's P

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

I was still in a state of shock when I pulled up to the hotel. Edward was going to kiss me and I was going to let him. However, I knew that if I allowed that kiss to happen, my feelings for him would only grow. He had made it clear that he didn't see a future with me, so kissing him would only prolong the inevitable. The inevitable being that I had to get over him. Somehow.

I inhaled a shaky breath as I walked into the hotel and found my way to Damon's room. He had given me a key card but I still chose to knock. He was quick to open the door. A crooked smile stretched across his face when he let me inside. I was surprised to see that Ric was there as well.

"Hey, guys," I said to them as I took a seat next to Ric. "What's up?"

Damon gave me a stern look. "It's a good thing you're sitting down."

I raised my brows in questioning. "Okay? What's going on, Damon? Why are you looking at me like that?"

He sat on the coffee table directly in front of me and stared into my eyes as he said, "It's Stefan."

"What about him?" I urged him to continue.

Ric solemnly shook his head and frowned. Damon's ice blue eyes peered into mine with an intensity that made my mouth go dry. Whatever he was about to say, I knew I wasn't going to like it.

"We think he's the one behind the attacks. It's been him this whole time, Lorelei. Remember the bodies drained of blood, heads severed from their bodies?"

I shook my head in disbelief. "No, it can't be. I mean, yes I remember, but it wasn't him. It can't be him. He's fine."

Damon stared at me with a blank expression. "Bella was attacked during the day. As you're well aware, daylight rings are in short supply."

He and Stefan both wore daylight rings so they could come out during the day. Otherwise, the sun would burn them to death. They had both been given daylight rings by a witch that was close to Katherine (the vamp girl that they had both fallen in love with over a hundred years ago) when they first turned.

My mouth fell open. "You think Stefan attacked Bella?! No! He wouldn't. He wouldn't do that, Damon."

"He didn't know she was Ric's fiancé, Lorelei. He still doesn't. But everything points to him. That's why I was so hesitant to leave you alone with him," Damon admitted in all seriousness.

"I think he's right," Ric spoke up. "He could have killed Bella. He needs to be stopped before it gets out of hand."

"No." I was still defending him. "You're not a hundred percent positive it was him. I know how it looks. I do. But he's my friend. And yours," I looked at Ric before meeting Damon's gaze, "And he's your brother."

They exchanged a knowing glance between one another.

"Let me talk to him. If he is really behind the attacks, then maybe I can get through to him. He still has his humanity," I told them both.