68

As Regan was left in her room, a surge of excitement rushed through her veins. She remembered Iris, the brunette and she was looking at the piece of paper she gave. It was an unknown language but she was either going to ask Artemis, or someone else.

She was certain of meeting Iris again, and maybe, just maybe find other people who were willing to defy Sirius. As she thought about him again, she was infuriated with him and herself. He was a cruel and vicious sorcerer, yet he was beautiful.

"Oh, God. What was I thinking?"

The thoughts were haunting her, accompanied by the things she remembered in the tavern; he had stroked her hair and touched her waist. Artemis kept saying it wasn't a big deal. But what would they call a big deal, then? Getting kissed? Marrying him? The thought made her tremble. That was the worst. But still, the ones before weren't any better. It wasn't like any guy had been that close to her.

And then, she felt a pang of something unknown. He had other girls, didn't he? The thought made her disgusted and jealous. She didn't know why she was jealous. Or maybe she wasn't. Maybe she was just repulsed by the idea of Sirius being with many others. And a part of her still thought about that dream of him kissing her and professing his love, something that was fake and nothing more than a mere delusion.a

The more she thought about it, the more terrible she felt. She couldn't say she couldn't get over it, but the truth was, she didn't want to get over it. It was maddening how she was still thinking that way about him. Maybe it was normal, she wasn't going to ignore someone who eliminated her family after all.

She looked through the window, the gray landscape clouding her eyes. Maybe the days were shorter, but she didn't see a big difference. The wind blew strong and fierce, bumping on the window. She knew she couldn't sleep, although she had already eaten.

Sighing, Regan tried to do something else. Her feet dragged her to the door. When she opened it the cold brushed her cheeks, but she had been wearing the fur cloak from earlier. Although she hated Sirius, she also hated Agnar. She pitied Artemis's lost state, who was even worse than her. At least Regan wasn't married to an oppressive and dissolute man like Agnar.

The thought itself made her skin tremble from the chills. What if everyone had known she was a princess and had forced her into some kind of marriage? At least, Artemis had married Agnar by her own wish, but Regan knew she'd never be willing to marry anyone, let alone a man like Agnar.

As she walked through the lonely corridor, she heard a low rumble. It was annoying her and raising the chills at the same time. She didn't want to stumble somewhere upon Agnar.

She kept walking, trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. As soon as she went to the living room and a few feet later, she was shocked at what she saw behind a wall. It was Agnar, kissing the maid.

Her heart was pounding in rage, her hands were shaking. How dare he? How dare he humiliate Artemis like that? She kept looking there, the disgust rising upon her. Fury boiled over her as she couldn't stop staring at them. She felt like she was either going to throw up or faint.

"So, that's what you've been doing, Agnar? Cheating with the servant?" Regan muttered to herself, her voice filled with disgust and anger, "You piece of filth!" She wanted to lunge and beat both of them up, finish them off, but she knew that would be foolish. She wanted to hit them behind the back, as they were doing to Artemis.

Her heart was still pounding, her hands still shaking. She felt like she was about to explode, "Cora, you piece of.... I knew you were a bad pawn in this."

"This is too much," she muttered, her voice barely audible, "I need to do something." She didn't know what exactly, but she couldn't just stand there and watch them. It felt like her skin was burning, like she was about to combust.

She backed away slowly, trying to calm herself down. Her breath came out in short, sharp gasps. Her eyes darted around, searching for somewhere to hide, somewhere to process what she had just seen.

But there was nowhere. The walls were closing in on her, the air was thick with betrayal. She knew she had to do something. If not Agnar, then Cora, "Yes, Cora. I'll beat the shit out of her," she said through a shaky voice, "I'll make sure they both pay for what they've done."

She hid behind some walls, and kept wandering around. She remembered what they said about revenge, "It is a dish best served cold."

However, she couldn't calm down. She wanted to burn them both in hell. She knew the consequences, Agnar was a damn prince. Maybe if he got harmed, they'd execute her. But she couldn't breathe. She couldn't breathe the air of betrayal and sin.

And as if her request was accepted, she saw Cora walking around in some other corridor. Clenching her jaw, Regan hid behind the shadows, approaching Cora from behind. She waited for the right moment and when Cora turned around, she grabbed her by the hair, pulling her closer. "You fool! Why did you do that?" she hissed, her voice shaking with anger, "Why do you have an affair with that asshole?"

"Cornelia?" Cora cracked, her eyes widening, "Get off of me!"

"No!" Regan hissed. Cora tried to free herself but Regan's grip was tight. She let go of Cora's hair and dragged her to a wall. She slammed her against the wall, holding her tightly, "Now, you're going to plead to me to let you live. You think I'm an easy deal? I can easily burn you and throw you to hell."

"W-what d-do you want f-from m-me? I haven't done anything!" Cora managed to stammer.

"Acting innocent, aren't you?" Regan whispered, "I know that facade. You go and sleep around with Agnar and don't expect it to be found out? I'll tell everyone about this. I'll destroy you and Agnar as well. Then, you can continue your 'love' into the roots of inferno."

"Cornelia, I'm s-sorry, I'm s-so sorry, I-I didn't want it to be like this. Prince Agnar said he loved me instead. He made me feel wanted," her expression turned to one of a snake, a sly smile playing on her lips, "and that's true. He doesn't care about the princess. He only cares about me. He'll do anything for me. He'll marry me once he's free. You see, you're no one to judge us. Watch yourself because once Agnar learns you know that, he'll skin you alive. He's dangerous, Cornelia. You should know that."

"You're dumb. You think he loves you?" Regan said, her face taking a pitying look, a fake sad smile on her face, "He's just using you, Cora. He's a piece of shit. He'll throw you away when he's done. He can't be with a princess, let alone with a maid. Now, if you're smart, go and disappear. And you know what's the best part? I'll tell everyone. But since you want to live, I'm giving you the chance to leave."

"You're playing with fire! You don't know what you're doing, you're stupid!" Cora hissed through gritted teeth.

"I'm the fire itself, Cora. And once I set my mind on something, I achieve it. Now, if you don't want to die, you'll leave. And if you do, you'll stay. I don't care. But if you try anything, I'll end you." Regan let go of Cora, stepping back, her eyes narrowing.

"Cornelia, please, don't tell anyone. You'll destroy yourself, Artemis and me. Don't mess with these matters," Cora pleaded once more.

Regan's jaw clenched, her fists curling, "Get out of my sight. Get lost!"

Cora stared at Regan for a long moment, anger and fear warring on her face. Then, slowly, she turned and walked away. As she disappeared around the corner, Regan let out a shaky breath and leaned against the wall, trying to calm her racing heart.

She knew what she had done was dangerous. She knew that Cora was going to tell Agnar about this. But the fact of Artemis getting cheated around, the fact of her getting abused and treated as a playtoy, made her disgusted and furious even more. Her fists clenched and she slammed them against the wall, trying to calm her racing heart.

She knew she was in danger herself. But she couldn't help it. She had to protect Artemis. It was her sister that she had never known her whole life. Yes, Artemis was hopeless, but Regan couldn't let her down. And if that meant putting herself in danger, then so be it.

She locked herself in the room, waiting for the dawn to come. She was determined to confront Agnar about his affairs and she didn't care what awaited her. If Agnar attacked or something, she'd fight back and then, if she'd be punished for her rebellion to the point of death, she'd find a way to get through it and survive. She didn't know how laws and punishments worked there, but she was determined to make something fair and good for once.