59

New York City's Central Park, one of the most beautiful parks in the city, is surrounded by more than 25,000 trees spread across 843 acres. Within its expanse, majestic sculptures stand amidst the natural beauty. A gentle breeze rustled the leaves, causing them to fall one by one to the ground. The air, chilled by the autumn season, was brushed by beams of sunlight that warmed everyone's skin.

The park was a riot of colors with flowers that masked the vivid green of the grass. Maple leaves covered the pathways, their brittleness causing them to snap quickly underfoot.

"Are you cold?" Margo asked Sophia with concern.

Covering her mouth, Sophia softly sneezed, then sniffled and smiled at her. "It hasn't been raining, but it's freezing." Her cheeks were rosy from the cold.

Sunbeams pierced through the small openings between the branches, while the blue skies framed the soft, drifting clouds. The serene backdrop of falling leaves made their spot on the bench mesmerizing. Gradually, red maple leaves fell onto their seat, accompanied by a gentle breeze, and the sunlight illuminated Margo's face, highlighting the color of her eyes. "Here, let me fix this..." She wrapped a green scarf around Sophia's neck and removed a small leaf that had landed on her brown leather jacket. "Let me pull out your gloves, Sophia." Holding Sophia's hands, she sighed, "You're right, it's not even winter, yet your hands are cold." Margo rubbed her hands together to warm them.

"Thanks. Don't give too much air. My hands will get burned," Sophia joked, unable to suppress a giggle.

Margo laughed. "Your hands are not wood," she retorted, continuing to warm Sophia's hands.

"Stop, you'll run out of air," Sophia teased, grabbing Margo's left hand and tucking it into her pocket.

"I can't complain," Margo conceded, letting Sophia hold her hand tightly.

A flock of pigeons frolicked near their bench as Margo tossed bread crumbs to them. Together, they watched the river glistening in the sunset's glow.

"Sophia?" She uttered softly while holding her hand.

Sophia turned to her, a smile breaking across her face when their eyes met. "Yes, Margo?"

"Do you miss your life in the monastery?"

She shook her head.

"Do you regret leaving?"

Sophia inhaled deeply, her gaze drifting over the river before settling back on Margo. "I would have regretted it if I had let you go..." She gently squeezed Margo's hand.

Margo's smile widened at the response. "Thank you..."

"For what?"

"Thank you for loving me, Sophia."

"Your charm is too hard to resist." She playfully pinched Margo's cheek. "You're so cute, Margo."

"Hey! I'm serious..." Margo's expression shifted to a frown.

Sophia chuckled at her reaction; Margo's signature scowl was always endearing to her. She tenderly caressed Margo's face, her gaze filled with love as she looked into those emerald eyes. "I can't explain it, but when I first met you, I felt as if I had known you for a very long time."

"If you could see your future from the very beginning...would you change it? If you knew how happy you would be and eventually, how sad and hurt...because you would be left behind," Margo paused, pressing Sophia's hand against her cheek. "Would you change it? Your future?"

Sophia shook her head, leaning against Margo's shoulder, her eyes still fixed on the river. "I wouldn't change it, even though it will hurt me."

"Why?"