1

In the realm of Elydia, there once ruled a Pharaoh named Akmenrah, who held dominion over both the upper and lower regions. As a formidable leader, he established a pact of loyalty by imposing a binding agreement: the nobles and kings, as a mark of allegiance, willingly offered one of their daughters to serve as his concubine. This arrangement forged a harem, symbolizing not just the role of the women in bearing heirs but also their families' unwavering loyalty to Pharaoh Akmenrah.

As the illustrious Akmenrah grew increasingly enamored with gold and treasures, he embarked on conquests, vanquishing lands and defeating kingdoms, thus expanding his empire's might. Upon reaching the age of fifty, Pharaoh Akmenrah opted for retirement. In this final chapter, he married the beautiful Princess of Asmatala, Meshkenet. Despite her tender age of sixteen, Meshkenet ascended the throne, becoming the Queen of Elydia.

Nevertheless, mere power proved insufficient for the mighty Pharaoh, who yearned for a son to inherit the throne. Regrettably, his aspirations were thwarted as his efforts failed to yield fruit within the Queen's womb. In response, the kingdoms under Akmenrah's rule offered their daughters as potential bearers of his heir. Among them, a chosen girl from the land of Samaria, governed by King Kesekth, whose daughter Femi—meaning "to love" in Elydian—captured the Pharaoh's attention.

Princess Femi, with her captivating light hazel eyes, rosy cheeks, soft skin, and chestnut-colored hair, possessed an inherent beauty. From their union, Princess Femi bore the Pharaoh a daughter, whom she named Nefertari. This young heiress not only inherited her mother's grace but also surpassed it, endowed with silky black hair, porcelain skin, and a statuesque figure reminiscent of Akmenrah. Nefertari's eyes, light brown like her mother's, created a striking blend of her parents' distinctive features.

+++

One scorching afternoon, the heat from the desert permeated through the sands, with not even a wisp of cloud in the sky to soften the unyielding rays of the sun. Desert animals sought refuge in the shadows of the pillars, the air thick and hazy. The hot temperature seared the skin of those waiting for the great Pharaoh.

Rigid discipline and determination against the oppressive weather kept the troops standing patiently in the desert, flanked by majestic chariots lined up in a row. A thousand soldiers marched forward while the royal families observed from their vantage points. From afar, the Queen watched, her head adorned with a golden headdress and bracelets on her wrists, her white dress of exquisite linen, ornamented with beads that highlighted her slender figure. Queen Meshkenet, at last, bore an heir for the throne, as the seeds of Pharaoh Akmenrah flourished within her womb. She cradled her one-year-old son on her lap as they awaited the start of the ceremonial parade.

A gust of wind swept through the crowd, as if signaling the commencement of the ceremony, prompting the soldiers to finally blow their trumpets. This was followed by the hands of a hundred slaves pounding vigorously against the drums, allowing the thunderous rumble to pulsate through the sands. Nearby, a massive shrine stood between two pillars, each flanked by torches, with giant statues of the gods surrounding the temple and a group of priests kneeling at the altar.

Hamar, the high priest from Thebes, emerged from the temple, his body clad in a tunic embroidered with gold; he wore gilded jewelry as a symbol of the gods. Stretching his hand towards the sky, he gazed heavenward with his kohl-painted eyes and spoke in a loud, clear voice: "People of Elydia, the gods have favored us on this day. We are here to witness a shower of blessings and to fulfill the wishes coming from the living god, the great Akmenrah!" His voice, resonating with pride, fell as he lowered his head in respect to the statues.

The booming sound of the drums continued to echo across the desert, the slaves beating them endlessly in a synchronized rhythm that was loud and thunderous, yet carried a distinct crescendo of subtlety and tone. The Pharaoh arrived at the temple. The place gradually quieted after the priest's prayer stopped the slaves from beating the drums. Everyone bowed their heads to the great ruler, Akhmenrah, who bore his symbols of office on his chest, the crook and flail, attributes of the god Osiris that had become emblems of authority. The shepherd's crook symbolized kingship, and the flail represented the fertility of the land. Pharaoh Akhmenrah was arrayed in beautifully pleated linen aprons or kilts, known as shendyts, which displayed his power, prestige, and divine association. The kilts featured exotic accordion pleating and were wrapped counterclockwise around his body. On his feet, he wore sandals ornamented with feathers.