30

"I think I'm at the wrong address," Aveline muttered under her breath as she approached the iron gate. Behind it lay a bungalow, nestled in a vast lawn adorned with fruit trees, flowering plants, and a secluded oasis, all enclosed by rustic wooden fencing. Aveline couldn't help but imagine herself enjoying outdoor dining on the flagstone patio, surrounded by beautiful landscaping. Before pressing the doorbell, she let her fingers glide over the cool iron gate. After a moment of hesitation, she pressed the intercom; its chime echoed within the house. An elderly woman wearing eyeglasses opened the gate. With the demeanor of a strict teacher and seemingly around seventy, her wrinkles were subtle. Her lips curved into a warm smile upon seeing Aveline.

Aveline returned the smile, albeit shyly. "Hi, good morning. I wanted to ask, is this house available for rent? Is this the right address?" She cautiously extended the flyer. The elderly woman examined the paper and then nodded. "Yes, it is. Are you interested in renting this place?"

"Uhm, I'm very sorry to bother you. I think I need to go. Thank you for your time," Aveline's hesitation was evident. Merely by looking at the house, she knew she couldn't afford it. While unsure of the exact value of the property, she guessed it would range between ten thousand to fifteen thousand pesos, likely surpassing her budget. Aveline offered a brief smile and turned to leave, but the woman touched her wrist. "Wait! Aren't you going to take a look inside?" she inquired, holding onto her hand.

"N-no... I thought it was the house I've been looking for," Aveline shook her head, her gaze dropping to the ground.

"But you are looking for a place to rent?" the elderly lady persisted.

"Y-yes," Aveline nodded.

"Then this is the right place! Why don't you take a look inside?" The woman's excitement was palpable as she clapped her hands together.

"B-but I'm not sure if I can afford this place," Aveline admitted, her cheeks coloring with embarrassment.

"Why don't we discuss it inside? Then you can see for yourself if you like it," the old lady's gentle voice eased her reservations. She opened the gate wider to allow Aveline inside.

Upon closer inspection, the garden was even more beautiful; it featured a small bench and a pond teeming with colorful koi fish. The property also boasted a porch, a garage, and a maid's quarters. Aveline's chocolate eyes widened at the sight of the spacious living room, the marble flooring, and the large doors. Her heart sank; she knew she couldn't afford it.

"Two bedrooms and three bathrooms. The guest room is on the second floor, along with a music room. Across the hall, you'll find the sunroom and library."

Aveline listened to the lady, swallowing hard a few times.

"Here's the kitchen, equipped with stainless steel appliances and mahogany countertops and cupboards. The first level features stylish hardwood flooring, complemented by designer-colored walls, new wooden blinds, and upgraded lighting fixtures."

Aveline felt her heart sink further. The kitchen, her weakness, made her feel even more hopeless.

The owner then showed her the second floor, which included walk-in closets in the bedrooms and large bathtubs in every bathroom. Aveline's eyes grew larger with amazement but dimmed with disappointment. Everything she could ever want was before her, yet it remained out of reach.

Their tour concluded, leaving Aveline to breathe deeply in frustration.

"Oh! I haven't asked your name!" The lady cheerfully pressed her hands to her cheeks while gazing at Aveline. "I also forgot to introduce myself. I'm Elena; I own this house. I'll be moving to another town, which is why I'm looking for someone to rent this place." She extended her arm for a handshake.