37

"Double time, people! Move faster!" Mrs. Poulain clapped her hands twice in a hurry to remind the staff. The chefs were all busy, as her restaurant was serving at the event. Mrs. Poulain picked up the chopping knife and cut the vegetables into vertical lengths. Every glide was precise, a result of repetition; everything was even, uniform, perfect. She glanced over at the sous chef and scowled, "How's the soup?"

Her eyes narrowed as the sous chef applied the seasoning. Mrs. Poulain's mouth tightened into a thin, straight line, "Too much, too much!"

The kitchen was a symphony of beaters, knives, and wooden boards. Cooking oil hissed on the hot frying pan, flames leaped and danced in the air when one of the chefs jiggled the pot, mixing all the ingredients. Whole roasted chickens turned on spits. Huge platters of meat were stuffed with savory fruits and nuts. Fish and clams were drizzled in flavorful concoctions.

Aveline took one of the dishes and presented it to Mrs. Poulain for a final inspection, which scrutinized the details. Then, she nodded in approval, ensuring that the recipe was perfect before it was served.

Aveline tapped the bell, signaling for the waiter. The head waiter entered the kitchen, wearing a tuxedo, and took the tray.

One of the employees entered the kitchen and approached Mrs. Poulain for a conversation. "C'est n'importe quoi!" ["That's nonsense!"] Mrs. Poulain let out an exasperated sigh when she heard the news.

"We're having a hard time, Mrs. Poulain. We need more servers. It's full out there."

"The publicist didn't give us a proper list of people; now, we have to make adjustments."

She sighed deeply.

Aveline sensed the distress. "Is there a problem, Mrs. Poulain?"

She briefly smiled. "We're short-staffed today. We need more waiters to serve the guests."

"The kitchen is fine, Mrs. Poulain. I'd like to extend my help if it's okay with you," Aveline offered, starting to remove her chef's hat.

Mrs. Poulain's face brightened. "Can you do it? Thank you! Thank you!"

Aveline smiled and nodded.

"There's an extra uniform in the office. You can use it. Oh, you are an angel today, Aveline." Mrs. Poulain brushed her palms together, her eyes glinting with joy.

The moment Aveline stepped out from the kitchen, her eyes widened in amazement. The hall was exquisite, its walls adorned with substantial colorful screens, and in the center of the ceiling above the tables hung a shimmering crystal chandelier. At the end of the hall, French doors were left slightly ajar, guarded by two men wearing white gloves and tuxedos. The polished silver cutlery felt heavy in the hand and shone brightly in the evening light. At each setting stood a tall, empty wine glass, accompanied by beautifully folded napkins that matched the tablecloths. Guests, all dressed in formal attire, included famous figures from politics, business, and elite societies, seated and being served. The servers, elegant in their tuxedos, moved silently, keeping platters and glasses full.

Aveline slightly fidgeted as she brushed the creases out of her skirt, suddenly feeling self-conscious. Despite her nervousness, she managed to remain in control. Taking a tray of wine glasses, she served the guests, lowering her head to avoid the flashing cameras while some reporters conducted interviews.

Polite conversations among the upper class could be heard amidst the lights and glamour enveloping the space.

Near the stage, an orchestra played, the conductor casually waving his baton in tune with the symphony. The sounds of violins, cellos, pianos, and cymbals spread melodiously across the room.