40

The gentle wind billowed across the river, with the bright rays of the sun warming the afternoon. The river lay golden in the bright light, resembling a looking glass that mirrored the sky. Rippled water caressed the shore, washing soil from the rocks and teasing the mud away from roots. The sounds of soft whispering branches and a splashing paddle drifted into the cold waters.

Aveline opened her eyes, the breeze lifting her long bangs from her forehead and bringing color to her cheeks. She leaned her head on Margo's shoulder, the moist air of early summer mingling with the trees that surrounded the river. A deep sense of serenity enveloped Aveline as she gazed at the horizon, where rays of light danced delicately across the water, enhancing the sunset's beauty.

A memory flooded her thoughts.

"Margo, won't you get tired of loving me?" Aveline hugged her from behind while they stood at the window, watching the city sprawl beneath them.

"Why do you ask?" Margo clasped the hands around her waist.

Aveline sighed deeply, her embrace tightening. "I'm not rich. I'm completely out of your league. Our reality doesn't permit it. I'm afraid of losing you."

"Does that bother you?" Margo tilted her head back to look at Aveline.

"I don't want you to tire of me. I'll be the best I can ever be, just let me love you."

"No...I won't leave you," Margo affirmed, clutching her hand tightly.

"Really?"

Margo nodded and lifted her hand to kiss it. "Yes."

"Are you sure?"

Margo turned to face her and softly pinched her cheek, a gesture she had picked up from Aveline. "I will stay with you."

A gentle smile graced Aveline's lips as she reminisced about the time they spent together. Margo steered the oars in silence while Aveline lay on her lap. "Do you need help? I can paddle too. You must be tired," Aveline offered, raising her eyes to meet Margo's as she lowered her head. "Just lie there."

"But I'm getting sleepy again. I'm adding more weight to the boat," she insisted.

"You're not that heavy; just sleep. I'll wake you up when it's time."

"I don't want to," Aveline protested, starting to move. The boat wobbled suddenly. "I think we're going to flip," she said nervously, "I-I don't know how to swim."

"It won't flip," Margo reassured her.

"God, it's scary," Aveline moved closer to the edge as the boat continued its course.

"You won't drown when you're with me." Margo confidently rowed, the paddle slicing through the rippling waters behind them. The sun threatened to set behind the horizon; its rays spread across the sky in vivid tangerine. The receding blues and oranges battled across the water, casting illuminating depths on the river. The radiant glow scintillated, beaming the colors of the glorious sunset.

"Let me help you then, or I'll annoy you with my fears of drowning," Aveline glanced at her, chuckling at the thought.

"Fine. Why don't you lean back and hold my hands? I'll let you steer," Margo suggested, offering a compromise.

Aveline leaned her back against Margo's chest and touched her hands, then softly laughed. "What's so funny?" Margo muttered, her gaze fixed on the horizon as she paddled in reverse, allowing them to admire the sunset while the boat moved away.

"I'm not really helping. I'm just holding your hands. You're the one rowing the boat."

"Just stay by my side. Let me do this," Margo momentarily glanced down and smiled at her. "Do you always need to be in control, Margo?" Aveline watched the ripples spread across the river.