50

The sound of rain echoed within the walls of the monastery. Inside the small room lay a bed, a lamp, and a crucifix hung on the wall. It was raining, but the sun was shining. The sky smiled through its tears, as sun and rain mingled.

There is a part of me that is still missing, and I don't know what it is. Why is there sadness in my heart? To whom am I writing these words? My heart begs me to reach out to someone I don't know.

Sophia stopped writing and then closed her eyes for a moment. She grasped the pages of the diary and felt the silence surrounding the convent. Tomorrow would be the day to become God's servant. Sophia had served several months in the church as a postulant. During her candidacy and postulancy, she studied the Benedictine rule, traditions, and ways of prayer as she lived the community life. It was a period of discernment on the part of the individual. To live in a monastery, she had to become a novice, with the first stage being postulancy. This initial step typically entailed six months of training. Sophia wore a simple white blouse and a black skirt. She was also given a cross to wear, indicating her desire to embrace conversion as a way of life. The cord around her neck was tied with three knots, symbolizing her desire to eventually live the vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience. The goal of this period of formation was to prepare Sophia for entrance into the novitiate. Tomorrow would be her novitiate ceremony. She would become a novice, wear a white veil, and be a disciple of Christ.

Sophia heard a knock, opened the door, and gave a cordial smile to Mother Reverend. "Please, come in, Mother Reverend."

"Are you ready for tomorrow, Sophia?" Sister Clara stayed in the doorway. "Yes, I'm ready, Mother Reverend," Sophia spoke mildly. The sun shone behind her, while the rain continued to pour outside the window. Sister Clara smiled at Sophia. "Just call me Sister Clara. This is your home now. We are your family."

"I'll be going now, Sister Sophia. Please take a rest. Tomorrow will be a big day for all of us." "Thank you, Sister Clara." Sophia bowed her head. The older nun nodded as a gesture of farewell.

++++

At 7 a.m., the skies cleared, revealing a bluer expanse beyond the dissipating clouds. The Rhapsody, a grand hotel, towered over miniature villas spread along the beach. Its reception area was adorned with exotic shrubs and flowers, presenting a luxurious sixty-floor hotel that stood empty, with no guests in sight. The hotel was locked down at the end of the street, tourists advised to seek other accommodations. All access to the building was blocked.

"What are we waiting for?" Don Alejandro impatiently asked his two companions, taking a vacant seat near the window. He lit a cigar and inhaled deeply, the smoke mingling with his slight nervousness.

"We don't know our enemy," Akihiro said softly, resting his left hand on the table. Marcel irritably scoffed at Akihiro, taking a swig from his glass and scratching his beard in displeasure. Despite Marcel's temper, Akihiro ignored him, clutching his cane and leaning back in his chair with a deep sigh. "If we stay together, we can have strong forces. We don't know who the enemy is. She is hunting us down. She will kill all of us."

The three of them were on the top floor, with easy access to the rooftop should they plan to escape. A helicopter was on standby. They were a notorious triad: Akihiro supplied weapons to government officials and terrorists; Don Alejandro was a drug lord controlling narcotics across the country; and Marcel, the head of the group, orchestrated their operations.

"She? We're all getting scared for a girl?" Marcel impatiently slammed his fist on the table, sending a jarring echo through the room. He rose angrily, sneering at Akihiro. "Calm down, Marcel," Don Alejandro replied with mild authority, "It could be a woman, or perhaps we're being misled. Our territories are depleted, and we can't discern the reason. We don't know who and what the enemy is. Akihiro is right. If we join forces, we will be strong," his voice hardened as he spoke.