54

The beauty of the sun was astonishing. Both sides of the road burst into spring, everything that could turn green had outdone itself, and flowers were in full bloom. The sunlight was a blessing, and the breezes caressed the skin so softly and intimately. Butterflies fluttered away as the bicycle passed along the road. Colorful flowers peeked around the wheels.

Sophia smiled as she met the sunlight. The wind caressed her black veil and swayed the rosary over her dress. She breathed in the fresh air coming from the river beside the road. It all looked like a pretty picture along the way. Lush green grass covered both sides of the road, colorful flowers were everywhere, and butterflies frolicked under the sun beside the clear river that mirrored the sky.

The afternoon sun was comforting as she pedaled along with the breeze. In that marvelous scene, combined with sunlight and wind to cool her eyes, she could see the vibrant colors laid out more brightly by the world in front of her.

"Hey! Why don't you assist our buyers?" Mercedes, the owner of the vegetable store, hissed at her teenage son. She even pinched him in the arm to get his attention. "You're gawking again."

Dante scratched his head in annoyance. "Yes, Ma," he muttered, handing a plastic bag to one of the buyers. "It's all fresh, pick whatever you like," he said, welcoming another customer with a more composed demeanor.

Fruit and vegetable shops were usually located at the roadside, bustling especially on Saturdays when prices were typically lower and bargaining was part of the experience. Dante's face brightened when he saw a nun approaching the store.

"Good morning, Sister Sophia!" Mercedes exclaimed, thrilled to see the nun. "You're right on time; all the vegetables are fresh today!" She eagerly smiled and waved her hand at Sophia.

The nun returned the greeting with a warm smile. She parked her bicycle near the shop, then carefully adjusted the hanging basket on the handlebars. Sophia observed the fresh array of vegetables on the stalls with keen interest. Dante's eyes, sharp and alert like a ferret's, were locked on her; he was noticeably blushing while staring at Sophia.

Mercedes discreetly admonished her son once more. "Stop watching her like that. You'll creep out our customers," she whispered, sneaking a light pinch on his leg, which made him squirm in discomfort.

"S-Sister Sophia, you can use this while you choose the vegetables," Dante stammered, his cheeks burning as if he were standing next to an oven, while he handed her the basket.

"Thank you," she replied, her dimples deepening as she began to select her vegetables. Fresh carrots, lettuce, and cabbages were neatly lined up. Sophia picked a loaf of garlic, a bell pepper, half a cauliflower, and two slices of pumpkin.

From a distance, Dante observed her, mesmerized as if she were surrounded by a halo of light, with rainbow arcs behind her and petals at her feet. He rested a hand on his cheek, gazing at her with undisguised admiration.

"Ouch!" His reverie was abruptly shattered when a bunch of string beans hit his arm. "Ma, that hurts. Please don't embarrass me here."

Mercedes wielded the string beans like a whip, slapping him again. "Goddammit! Stop ogling the nun. Have you no shame?!"

"It's just a crush, Ma," Dante muttered, scratching his head with a frown. Mercedes pursed her lips and narrowed her bushy eyebrows. "Just assist the customers. You're wasting my time with your reasoning," she huffed in dismissal.

Sophia brought her vegetables to the counter, oblivious to the minor drama unfolding between mother and son. "It's all in there," she said, beaming brightly.

"What great choices you've made, Sister," Mercedes said with a smile as she weighed the purchases. "Let's see, seventy pesos for the cauliflower, fifty for the pumpkins, thirty for the bell peppers, and sixty for the garlic." She mentally calculated, her finger waving in the air, then smiled at Sophia. "That comes to two hundred ten pesos, but I'll give you a discount today. It's one hundred ninety pesos." Mercedes began to pack the vegetables into an eco bag. "Oh, thank you so much!" Sophia blushed while paying for the vegetables.