28

"Margo, can we stop by my house first? I'd like to pick up some of my things," Aveline asked while they were in the car, fresh out of the hospital. The chauffeur drove in silence. Margo was browsing her phone beside her. Aveline's brow furrowed, betraying her worry. At the moment, her possessions were limited to her clothes and a teddy bear.

Margo glanced at her, then curled her lip and put down the phone. "I've bought you clothes and shoes. They're already prepared."

"How...how did you know my size? Uh...shoe size?" Aveline was puzzled; she couldn't recall ever telling Margo her shoe size, and even she was unsure about it.

"I know exactly," Margo replied with a smirk, playfully biting her lip as she teased Aveline, who blushed at the humor. Perhaps Margo had memorized every inch of her through their intimate encounters, Aveline thought, allowing herself a moment to replay those scenes in her mind, which only made her cheeks flush more. Uncertain, she cleared her throat and responded in a soft voice, "Thanks...Margo. You...you shouldn't have bought me clothes or shoes." Aveline turned her face to the window, trying to conceal her flushed cheeks.

"I only bought a few things... Don't worry about it, Aveline."

The air cooler blasting in the car seemed ineffective; Aveline found herself sweating more, not from the temperature but from Margo's presence. As the vehicle navigated a bumpy road, her head bumped against the window with a soft thud.

"Are you okay, Aveline?" Margo asked with concern. She then turned to the chauffeur and sternly reprimanded, "Drive carefully." "I'm very sorry, Miss Sinclair," the chauffeur apologized.

Aveline's cheeks blazed with a blush so intense she momentarily felt her face was on fire. "It's fine, Margo. My fault for leaning against the window," she said, rubbing her forehead and lowering her eyes to sneak a glance at Margo, masking her embarrassment.

Currently, she was filled with anxiety, feeling awkward beside Margo. Ironically, their past encounters, always escalating to intimacy, contrasted sharply with her current timidity. Like a mimosa plant reacting to touch, she would recoil in shyness at Margo's slightest attention. This vulnerability was new to her, a stark departure from the resignation she had felt about her fate. Up until recently, Aveline had accepted a bleak destiny, but today marked a significant shift—from a state of despair to one of cautious optimism. The analogy of a fish venturing from the safety of a dark pond into the vast ocean captured her current state perfectly; the freedom was exhilarating yet daunting.

"What are your plans?" Margo asked.

"There's a foundation led by a nun who helped us. She said she would assist us in going to school and finding jobs," Aveline shared, momentarily forgetting her anxiety, her voice filled with hope.

Margo's smile widened, catching Aveline's infectious enthusiasm. "That's wonderful. Have you chosen a school?"

"I've always dreamed of attending a university. I find the campus beautiful," Aveline's eyes sparkled with fascination, revealing her wishful thinking.

"Which one?"

"Near East Avenue, the largest university I've ever seen. I think it's mostly for wealthy people. Just looking at their parks and buildings is nice," Aveline said excitedly, sharing her dreams. Margo, noticing her joy, instructed the driver to head to East Avenue.

"What are you doing? You're joking, right?" Aveline's eyes widened in surprise.

"I don't joke," Margo replied, her tone serious.

"Oh my god! This is embarrassing! I have so many bruises on my face. I wasn't actually planning to apply. I don't have any documents. I just love the place, that's all," Aveline exclaimed nervously.