33

"Prepare the pan to the proper temperature," Mrs. Poulain instructed Aveline. The flame from the stove gradually declined as she controlled it by turning the knob.

Then Aveline headed to the sink to wash the chicken, while Mrs. Poulain cleaned the vegetables and arranged them on the counter. They were going to cook chicken roulade stuffed with Brussels sprouts and walnuts. They also prepared fresh lemon juice, finely chopped nuts, kosher salt, black pepper, and two tablespoons of olive oil. "You know, I once had a Michelin star in France. My daughter is now managing the restaurant," the teacher began, sharing a story while watching Aveline prepare the ingredients.

"What's a Michelin star?" Aveline asked with curiosity, slowly adapting to her new world, amazed by every piece of information she received.

Mrs. Poulain gave a half-smile at her question as they stuffed the chicken with walnuts. "A Michelin star is the highest honor a restaurant can achieve. One star is good," she began, looking upward as if trying to remember. "Two stars mean excellent. Three stars are divine. Your food is considered a standard for the gods." Mrs. Poulain showed three fingers, then shook her head in amusement. "I was content with one star; three would be hard to maintain."

"If there are Oscar awards in Hollywood and Pulitzer Prizes in literature, in the culinary world, there is the Michelin star," Mrs. Poulain explained with pride and happiness in her eyes. "Sometimes, a Michelin star can also be a curse. It is awarded yearly, and some restaurants can be stripped of it. Once you have a star, you must always be the best."

The corners of Aveline's mouth quirked up; she quickly grasped Mrs. Poulain's way of explaining. "Is there a Michelin star in the Philippines?"

The teacher shook her head, then gave a half shrug. "It exists in Europe and other countries. You must create a famous dish to be recognized by well-known food critics. Michelin is a secretive organization. Nobody knows who the inspectors are. They visit restaurants like regular customers, and if you pass, your restaurant will be featured in Michelin catalogs or magazines."

"Wow, it must require a lot of dedication to earn a star like that." Her chocolate eyes gleamed with wonder as she sprinkled pepper into the pan. "You deserve a Michelin star, Mrs. Poulain. You're the best teacher I've ever had," Aveline stated with pure admiration. The French woman's unwavering guidance kindled her passion for cooking. Smoke from the pot began to rise, releasing a pleasant aroma that tantalized the senses.

"You know, Aveline, any kind of recipe, when prepared with heart, deserves a Michelin star—even if it's just a burger," Mrs. Poulain said as she lifted the lid and stirred the soup, glancing at her student with a smile playing on her lips. "Just keep believing in yourself. Perhaps one day, you'll earn your own star." Aveline's cheeks flushed red upon hearing the compliment. "T-thank you, Mrs. Poulain. I'll cherish that advice." A mere word of encouragement from her teacher was an immense treasure for Aveline.

One of the kitchen staff approached Mrs. Poulain and whispered the news while Aveline was busy preparing the meal on the plate.

"We don't take deliveries," the Frenchwoman initially opposed the idea suggested by the employee.

"Would you be so kind as to speak on the phone?" the staff member asked again in a soft voice.

"Who's on the line?" Mrs. Poulain inquired, her forehead creasing in curiosity.

"The owner of this building."

Mrs. Poulain took a sharp breath; then she removed her apron and laid it on the clean counter. She also gave some instructions to Aveline before heading to the office.

"We can deliver it right away. We can arrange that. It will be ready within fifteen minutes," Mrs. Poulain offered a different response over the phone, "Yes... I don't mind at all." She nodded in approval. "Thank you for choosing our restaurant," Mrs. Poulain ended the call. She stood in front of the glass panel, watching her crew work in the kitchen. She folded her arms across her chest, then sighed as she shifted her gaze to Aveline. "Rich people, always getting what they want," she murmured in a soft voice.