21

"Margo, take off your shoes," Aveline suggested while sitting on the lawn, waiting for the fireworks display.

"Why are we here if the fireworks are on the other street?" Margo hesitated but allowed Aveline to remove her shoes. She stood, undecided about sitting on the Bermuda grass. "Join me," Aveline patted the spot next to her. "It's comfortable here. We can watch the fireworks, and it's less crowded than the other street. Let's relax and listen to the concert while watching." A smile beamed on her face as she spoke to Margo.

Margo frowned slightly but ultimately decided to sit on the lawn. The park was lively, filled with the scent of street food that wafted over, making Aveline's stomach rumble with hunger. She eyed a stall selling isaw at the corner, her mouth watering at the thought. Isaw is a local delicacy made from barbecued pig or chicken intestines, which are thoroughly cleaned, turned inside out, and cleaned again multiple times. They are then boiled before grilling or grilled directly on sticks and typically dipped in vinegar with onions, peppers, and other spices, sold by vendors on street corners.

"Margo, have you ever tried street food?"

"No."

"Do you want to try isaw?"

"What's that?" Margo looked puzzled at the mention of the unfamiliar food.

"You haven't tried it yet? Let's go buy some isaw."

"I don't want to eat that," Margo's face crumpled again. Aveline half-smiled, her eyes still round and face relaxed upon hearing her complaint. It always happened this way: whenever Margo resisted, Aveline would insist, often pinching Margo's cheek. "Geesh, you're getting grumpy again. You haven't tried it yet. Let's go, Margo. I'll buy you isaw." She adoringly pinched the cheek and kissed it.

Margo huffed and lifted an eyebrow. "Why can't you take no for an answer?"

"Let's go, Margo. I promise it's worth it." Aveline masked her sadness with a pretense of happiness in her voice, offering a cheeky grin as she held Margo's hand firmly.

Margo stood, and Aveline clung to her hand even more tightly, savoring each moment, memorizing every detail of their time together. They approached the street food stalls lined up along the way and bought isaw, pork barbecue, and drinks. Then they decided to sit on the lawn.

"Here, take a bite." Aveline extended a stick with grilled chicken intestines toward Margo, who grimaced in disgust. The aroma had a burnt scent, and the smell of vinegar wafted to Margo's nose, causing her taste buds to react involuntarily. Aveline sighed and held the food in front of Margo's lips. "Open your mouth," she whispered. Margo glared at her, but Aveline returned the look with a sweet smile. "Take a bite."

Margo sighed in defeat, her resistance worn down by Aveline's persistence. Slowly, she opened her lips and took the first bite. To her surprise, a delightful flavor burst across her taste buds, pleasantly shocking her senses. "It's good," she admitted, taking another bite with newfound enthusiasm.

"I told you it's tasty," Aveline said, beaming with pride as she ate another isaw and looked up at the sky.

Margo finally indulged herself in eating the grilled chicken intestines.

"Margo, how many bright stars can you see? Are there many?" Aveline looked up. Margo lifted her gaze. "There are ten brightest stars in the sky, Aveline."

"Do they have names?" Aveline watched the stars.

"Sirius, Canopus, Vega, Arcturus, Capella, Rigel, Procyon, Achernar, Betelgeuse, and Alpha Centauri. The brightest star among them is Sirius," Margo replied while looking at the stars.