48

"Dr. Howard! She's awake!" the assistant urgently alerted the doctor. Aveline's eyes were wide open, her gaze fixed on the void.

Dr. Howard immediately examined her eyes with a small flashlight. "Her pupils are equal and reactive," he observed, his brow furrowing upon noticing the look in her eyes. Her brain scan revealed a slight disturbance in the left hemisphere. "This is Dr. Victor Howard, code number 339. Requesting Triazolam," he commanded the computer. At his voice, the machine sprang into action, administering the drug through the tube, a short-acting sedative treatment.

Aveline was caught in the throes of sleep paralysis. During rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, the brain conjured vivid dreams, while the body's muscles were largely incapacitated to prevent the dreamer from physically acting out their dreams. Sleep paralysis occurred when a person emerged from REM sleep prematurely, finding themselves conscious yet disconnected from physical movement. They needed to gently lull her back into sleep; failing to do so risked putting her into a coma or causing potential brain damage. Dr. Howard sighed, his concern palpable. He glanced at the clock. Only twenty minutes remained before her memory would begin to fade.

"Doctor...should we inform Miss Sinclair?" the assistant inquired hesitantly.

Victor Howard gave a solemn nod. "Please, do inform her."

"Heart assessment, no visible pulsations in the aortic and pulmonic areas. No presence of heaves or lifts," the computer announced as it conducted a thorough physical assessment. Once more, a laser light swept over her body.

"Normal breath sounds without dyspnea," it reported as the light glided across her form.

"Anterior thorax, quiet, rhythmic, and effortless respiration," it concluded, providing a detailed overview of her current state.

Aveline gasped for air, coughing several times to expel the water from her throat. She awoke lying in the bathtub, which overflowed as she attempted to sit up. Leaning back, the water reached her chest. Aveline pulled herself out of the tub, her white long sleeves and pants soaking wet. She dragged her foot out of the water, leaving a wet trail on the dry floor.

Drenched, she wrapped her arms around herself, seeking warmth. She sat on the floor, leaning her shoulder against the tub. The room was bathed in white, her only companion a bathtub filled with water. Closing her eyes while seated on the floor, she leaned against the tub.

When she opened her eyes, the scene had transformed.

"Do you want to make a wish?"

Arms encircled her waist, and she leaned back against Margo's chest. They found themselves in a boat in the middle of the sea, encircled by iridescent lamps suspended above the water. The boatman, with his back to them, steered the canoe carefully, navigating through the floating lights.

"I have nothing to ask. My wish was fulfilled." Aveline dipped her hand on the water. "What did you wish?" Margo hugged her tightly when the wind blew to their direction. Aveline stroked Margo's neck by using the tip of her nose, she smiled and whispered huskily to her ear. "You are my wish."

Margo smiled at what she heard. The ocean became brighter. The floating lanterns seemed like stars sailing in the blue universe.

The wind blew, a soft caress against their faces.

"Margo?"

"Yes?" she answered, her gaze fixed on the horizon.

A warm smile slowly grew on Aveline's lips. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Thank you for showing me the world. It's so wonderful. My life has changed because of you," Aveline whispered, her voice heavy with gratitude. She had seen the world through Margo's eyes: colorful, alive, imperfect. In her dream, Aveline relived the memories, re-enacted the scenes, and listened to the same conversations. It was as if time had rewound just for her.