42

The Past of Aveline

Part 2

"Papa, how's Mama in heaven? Grandpa once told me she lives there. Can we visit her?" A nine-year-old Aveline asked her father. They were walking on the beach, collecting seashells, when she tugged his hand excitedly. "Papa, let's go over there. Let's make a sandcastle." She knelt on the sand, beginning to dig with her hands. Domeng sat beside her, shading her from the sun. He then found a large seashell and handed it to her. "W-whisper into it. Y-your mother w-will hear."

"Mother will hear me?" she asked, her voice filled with childlike wonder as she gazed at the seashell, her dimpled cheeks beaming with joy.

Domeng nodded, smiling at her affectionately. The inside of the seashell was iridescent, shining with the colors of the ocean. Blues mingled with greens, sparkling beautifully in the sunlight. Aveline spoke into the seashell as if it were a telephone. "Mama, are you there? I'm here with Papa." Then, she heard a soft murmur that filled her heart with joy. She looked up at the sky, watching birds glide over the horizon. "Papa, heaven looks nice. I think it would be beautiful to fly." Aveline observed the cirrus clouds strewn across the bluest of skies.

"It's b-beautiful," Domeng agreed, his gaze also lifted to the heavens.

Aveline turned to him, pressing the seashell to her ear, then whispered, "I love Papa. He's the best father in the world. Take care in heaven, Ma. I love you, Papa, and Grandpa."

"Papa, listen," she said, standing to face her father. Domeng knelt on the sand to meet her eye level. Aveline placed the shell to his ear. Her voice resonated within the seashell, warming the father's heart. "Papa l-loves you t-too," he said, wrapping her in a tender embrace.

The waves caressed the shore, and a gentle wind enveloped them.

"Papa, I learned a new song at school."

"R-really?"

"Do you want me to sing?"

"P-please s-sing it w-with Papa." Domeng replied eagerly, settling himself on the beach. Aveline stood up, shaping her hands into the form of a bird, then began to sing with youthful enthusiasm.

🎶 "Someone stoned a sparrow on a branch of wood, and the stone hit the wing of the tiny bird."

The waves seemed to harmonize with her song, adding a natural melody to her performance.

🎶 "Because of the pain, it could no longer fly and it fell, as if to say,

A summer breeze flirted with Aveline's long hair as she continued her song.

🎶 "Oh, cruel man, your heart showed no mercy. If I die, there is one sparrow who will cry."

Dancing in circles, Aveline's dress billowed with the wind. Domeng watched her with pride, clapping enthusiastically. "Y-you sing w-well, Aveline."

"I want to be a bird, Papa!" Aveline exclaimed, spreading her arms as if they were wings and sprinting across the sand. Domeng stood and, with his strong arms, joyfully granted her wish to 'fly'. He hoisted Aveline, allowing her to glide above him. "Papa! Let's chase the waves!" she suggested, pointing towards where the waves met the shore. Setting her down, they approached the water's edge, letting the wet sand envelop their feet, eagerly anticipating the next wave.