27

"Aveline! Get in here! You have to see this!" Mildred excitedly yelled from in front of the TV, sitting next to Brenda in the living room.

"What is it?" Aveline emerged from the kitchen.

"Girl, you better watch this," Brenda said anxiously, pointing her finger at the TV screen and gently nudging her friend on the shoulder. "Turn up the volume, please, Mildred."

Aveline joined them on the couch.

"A terrible massacre happened in Manila. A private club owned by Tomas de la Merced was found filled with dead bodies, with gunshots heard around 2 a.m. According to police reports, gang wars are believed to be the cause of the conflict, resulting in numerous deaths, and the owner is still at large. The police are continuing their investigation—"

CLICK!

Mildred turned off the television. Their eyes had been glued to the screen, and not one of them uttered a word. Within a second, sighs of relief escaped their lips, shocked by the news yet simultaneously relieved. It was hard to believe what they had just heard.

"So? Are we free? Right?" Mildred asked, frowning.

"They're gone?" Brenda added.

"Can we finally start a new life?" Aveline held a hand to her chest; she breathed in, exhaled, and sighed again.

The news was like a bomb exploding in front of them; they were all astonished. Who would have thought that the men who owned them would be gone in a snap?

Brenda collapsed on the couch, covering her face with her hands. "We can finally do anything we want," she whispered, her voice quivering with emotion. "We can go to school, live a life!" Her face lit up with a hopeful glow.

"I want to study; it's my dream to become a teacher," Mildred, wrapping her arms around Brenda, tears streaming down her face. "You can do whatever you want, Mildred. Quit being a junkie, and you'll make a great teacher," Brenda said softly, patting her on the arm as she sniffed and wiped away joyful tears.

"What about you? What are your plans?" Mildred turned to Aveline.

"A-ah... I want to be a chef," Aveline's eyes sparkled with happiness, her dimples deepening with her smile.

"Wow, culinary arts," Brenda nodded, clearly impressed. She hugged Mildred and sighed deeply. "I want to become an engineer; I've always loved math."

"You're intelligent. You will go places, girl," Mildred assured, her smile wide as she embraced Aveline, drawing Brenda into their group hug. Realizing they were indulging in the very sentimentality she usually despised, Mildred winced. "We're all drama queens," she said, hastily wiping her tears away before snorting derisively. "Just this once, we can be as cheesy as it gets. I've never been so happy!" she chuckled, her laughter mixing with the tears of joy and relief.

Brenda smacked Mildred with a pillow.

"The hell are you doing?" Mildred rubbed her head, glaring at Brenda.

"I have to make sure I'm not dreaming. I don't want to wake up," Brenda said, grinning through teary eyes.

"Why don't you bang your head against the wall? That'll tell you if you're dreaming," Mildred suggested playfully, giving Brenda a gentle punch on the arm.

"I'm so happy," Aveline interjected, her cheeks blushing as she accepted their newfound reality.

Both Mildred and Brenda glanced at her. "You can pursue her, Aveline," Brenda teased.

"You can be a lesbian now. We don't mind. I'll teach you how," Mildred boasted, proudly wiggling her fingers.

"Shut up! You're so annoying!"