32

Aveline yawned inside the car while the sun blazed on a hot afternoon. She turned to her side and secretly stole glances at the driver. Margo was dressed casually in a white shirt, a black jacket, and rugged pants, with her long hair hidden under a bonnet hat. Whenever she wore ragged clothes, her personality seemed androgynous. It was difficult to define whether she was pretty or handsome, blending two definitions into one face.

Aveline remembered the first time they met; she blushed at the thought of their first kiss. It had never crossed her mind that she would meet again the stranger whom she had mistaken for a man. She cleared her throat and diverted her gaze to the window. A smile appeared on her face while she gazed at her reflection. Her cheeks turned crimson again when she noticed some hickeys on her neck. She immediately adjusted the collar of her blouse to cover those bothersome marks. While adjusting her uniform, Aveline smiled at her attire. She usually wore short skirts and revealing clothes, but now, the school uniform seemed like the best dress she had ever worn. She smoothed out the creases of her blouse with her hand and then patted the long back of her skirt to remove the dust she could barely see, diligently wiping away the little dirt on her black shoe.

"Have you been studying?" Margo asked momentarily, her eyes focused on the road.

"Yes," Aveline simpered.

"Do you have an exam today?"

"No, Margo."

Margo briefly shifted her gaze to Aveline, then back to the road. "Did you get enough sleep last night?"

"No, you never tire me. I always get enough sleep when I'm with you, Margo. Would you like to sleep with me again?" Aveline responded casually. The immortal laughed at what she heard; it sounded to her like Aveline's way of inviting her for a cup of coffee. "If it doesn't affect your grades...we will," they conversed so casually. Intimacy had become irrelevant to what they called their friendship.

"That's a deal," Aveline giggled, delighted by the idea.

They finally arrived at the school. The security guard noticed the Lamborghini and opened the gate. Aveline suddenly became nervous; she detested the idea of people staring at her. She aimed to keep a low profile, but with Margo beside her, that seemed impossible.

"Margo, can you park the car over there?" Aveline suggested, pointing to a parking space at the far end, away from the building.

"It's fine; I'll walk you to your class."

"It's okay, my class isn't far from here. I don't want to trouble you," Aveline protested nervously, pursing her lips. She appeared worried, pressing her lips together again at the thought of people staring at Margo, which might infuriate the Queen.

"Why?" Margo stopped the car in front of the building.

"I'm worried that I'm taking up too much of your time," Aveline answered hesitantly, wiping her clammy hands on her skirt.

"It's fine," Margo casually shrugged and smiled. Aveline's heart melted at the sight, her face blushing once again. Margo exited the car, and Aveline followed. Just as Aveline had predicted, the crowd was mesmerized by the Lamborghini. Margo's presence only intensified their awe as they gazed at her beauty.

"Where's your class?" Margo asked, turning to Aveline, oblivious to the admiration from the crowd.

"At the far end, near the cafeteria." Aveline pointed in the direction while holding a book, lowering her head as they walked. Her face reddened again; she felt like a teenager being accompanied by her mother on the first day of school. Unaccustomed to the stares directed at her, this was a new experience. Unlike the mocking stares she usually received, today was different; the people admired her.