Chapter 45 - Fine and Healthy

Liam Hastington

I went back to New York and decided to bury myself with work. It's been a week, but it felt like an eternity. It felt like the world was slowing down and slowly burning me.

I tried to forget her. I tried going out to bars and hanging out with my friends, but none of it was working. My head was filled with her. Her voice filled my head. Her sweet scent filled my nose. Her presence was missed.

I thought I'd forget about her after I left Tokyo, but the exact opposite happened.

I took more shifts, took more work, and drank more alcohol to swallow my misery.

"This is my first time seeing you like this." I turned to see Marie sitting beside me. She brought her breakfast with her, and I sat up straight.

"You look miserable." She added as she stole my grapes.

"She doesn't want to see me again," I told her as I glued my eyes to my food. "She wants to move on."

"You should be happy for her. You know damn well that she deserves better." I let out a long sigh and ran my hands through my hair, fucking frustrated.

"You're not helping, Marie." I hissed, and she shrugged before eating her sandwich.

"She needs someone who can protect her, and I can protect her better than anyone else!" I burst angrily, and Marie let out a chuckle.

"That's what you think. Have you ever listened to her? Ask her what she wants. Does she need someone to protect her? Or does she need someone to protect her from you?" I facepalmed my face, stressing out.

"You're nothing but selfish, Liam. She needs someone who can listen and understand how she feels. Someone like her can easily find someone who loves and protects her. If she said she's moving on, you should too!" I shook my head. "Let me remind you again. You have Thea." She smirked sarcastically.

"You don't understand, Marie." I sighed, and she let out another chuckle.

"Until when are you going to deny your feelings?"

"Deny what?"

"That you love her."

"I don't love her. I'm a dead man inside, Marie. I can't love anyone." I turned to her, annoyed.

"Then you should let her move on." I glared at her, and she glared back.

"You know damn well that she deserves better, yet you don't want to admit it. You know damn well that someone can protect her better than you, yet again, you don't want to admit it. You know so fucking well that someone can love her more than you do, yet you don't want her with others. If you want her back, apologize and listen to her. Also, you should start to admit that you love her." Marie grabbed her tray and got up.

"Take my advice before you lose her for good." With that, she left.

My phone rang, and I grabbed it from my pocket.

"What do you want, Lockwood?"

"I'm going to Italy for work. Let's go and find hot chicks there." It's funny that he tried to make Athena jealous. That woman's heart is made out of iron.

"No."

"Why not? You're already divorced, don't act like you're going to be—"

"And you're still fucking married." I leaned my head back. Suddenly, Lou called me, and I ended Blake's call immediately.

"What is it?"

"She's currently having dinner with a man named Danno Tamura. His father was Yugo's friend from college, and the Tamura family owns Tamura Motors." I closed my eyes, hating every word that she said.

"She looks beautiful tonight. She cut her long hair to shoulder length, and she—"

"I don't need details, Lou." I cut her, and she apologized right away.

"Update me. I want you to keep watching her."

"Yes, sir." I ended the call and threw my phone on the table.

I got up and threw my breakfast away. I went back to the nurse station to grab some patient charts. I checked individually, but I had a tough time focusing, so I had to re-read it a few times.

"Hi, Liam." I turned to see Thea walking towards me, but I ignored her.

"Are you free tonight? I have tickets to the Food Fair in—"

"I'm busy. Go find another dick to suck." I cut her brutally, and I could hear a couple of people laughing behind me.

"You're a fucking jerk." She hissed, and I looked up at her.

"Good to know." With that, she left, and I put the charts down, completely tired.

"You should take a break. You look like a zombie." I turned to Marie, who just got back from the cafeteria.

"I'll go crazy if I take a break," I answered her honestly.

Alyssa Takada

"Lou, you need to stop following me." I hissed because she's been lacking these days. I stopped in my tracks and turned to her. She pouted and showed herself.

Lou looked so tired like she hadn't slept for days.

"I can't believe Liam is making you work 24/7." I crossed my arms in front of my chest. Lou nodded sadly.

"You should go to your hotel and rest."

"I can't. Mr.Hastington will fire me." I face-palmed myself and let out a sigh. I gestured for her to give me her phone, and she shook her head.

"He won't fire you. If he does, I'm going to hire you." She hesitantly gave me her phone, and I dialed Liam's number.

"What is it?" Liam answered at the first ring.

"You need to stop making Lou follow me around. She looked like she hadn't been sleeping for days." I retorted.

"Alyssa." My name came out as a whisper like he didn't believe I was the one who called him.

"Let her rest and take her back to New York. I don't need you to send people to watch over me." I was about to end the call when he called my name with a tone that I never heard.

"Alyssa." I decided not to say anything.

"I miss..." There's a long pause. "I miss Riri and Lili."

"They're doing fine and healthy." With that, I ended the call.