Chapter 24 - The secret

********************

Sam is willing to accept the power he can't use yet. He does not know how to deal with being watched by the unknown.

*Did he truly mean it? Maybe it is just him. Now that I can sense things, I know how similar they are to him.
Hmm, I guess I just have to train and become more powerful than I am right now. It should help.
Right at this moment, what I need is one fat nap! And not a single soul is going to take that away from me!*

He jumps into his bed and falls deeply asleep.

The next morning...

*Sam yawns*

He walks to his kitchen and grabs himself a mug filled to the brim with his favorite cappuccino.

*Damn! I needed this coffee. I never want to stop drinking it, ever! I feel almost nothing different about my body. Was it all a dream, or real, like I told myself, „I told myself"!? It sounds absolutely weird, as it actually is!* He shrugs his shoulders and walks back to his living room.

Everything becomes quiet as he concentrates on muting his surroundings to build up ideas about his powers. He tries out different poses and signature moves from fictional characters he has read about and seen on TV.

*Kaaaameeeehaaaaameeeehaaaa! Bummer! At least I tried. It could have worked like I imagined it. Oh man, where do I even start to figure out what I can really do? How do all those characters know what they are capable of? They make it look easy and effortless. I don't even know where to start. Samuel said something about a Tomei; whatever that thing is...
Should I meditate, or do I try drowning myself in my bathtub? Ooohhh wait! Maybe I should try getting struck by lightning like the flash? When is the next storm? Maybe just thunder? Or maybe I just ask Jane to help me?
With that big ass garage of hers, she should be able to find a way to simulate a lightning storm-the storm that will change my life after last night's weirdness.*

Samuel calls out for Sam. He warns, *Sam, be careful! Hold back as much as you possibly can*

Sam nods and calls back to Samuel, *so it is clear that last night was real and somehow you still want me to achieve my goal, destiny, duty, whatever... but also somehow you want me to not talk to her about it?*

He decides that figuring it out by himself is safer for his own precious life.

*Whatever, I don't think I need or deserve this power. After all, it wasn't mine to start with. I have to meet Jane right now; there is no time for useless thoughts.* He takes off his clothes and enjoys a long, cold shower.

*So refreshing! I love spilling the water all over my head. Though I need to stop wasting water like this, How long have I been in here?*

Has he just realized he has been wasting water for the past forty-five minutes? Doubting his intelligence! He was taking a cold shower. How come there is vapor all around his body? Is he boiling hot?
No, no, no, no... something is wrong! This shouldn't be happening right now; it's impossible! This is not how it should be! Waaay off...

*Hello? Who is out there? What do you mean by waaay off? Off what? Are you talking to me? Am I imagining things?*

I am now ninety-nine point nine percent sure that something is wrong here! Did he hear me? I am not even interfering! This is some weird deadpool thing happening. I guess I need to be more careful now. He pissed me off hard enough that I couldn't hold back.
This guy... he has earned my interest again! Ok, Sam, continue with whatever you are doing, and don't listen to me; it's an order!

*Hmm, I hope Jane isn't mad about me ditching her yesterday, could be really stressful.* This time, he drives his car, which he cleans before leaving.

*These damned birds, one day imma kill you, just wait!*

At Jane's driveway

**Saaaammyyyyyyyy! It was about time that you came. How long does it take you to get your ass over here, huh?** She punches his left shoulder and hugs him tight. She continues, *I was worried, I had the feeling something veery awful had happened to you! Next time, at least text me soon enough!*

Sam drops his smile and says, *For real, I'm sorry. Something happened...*

An unbearable silence makes the wind around them heard before Jane asks him to continue talking. He refuses Jane's request but promises to tell her after he has figured it out himself.

*But could you at least let me get out of the car first before you start punching me, please? I mean, it didn't hurt that much, but still.*

He thinks for almost an entire minute and adds, *Didn't you hit me with almost everything you've got?* Jane turns around and spouts. She walks into her house, leans backwards halfway there, and shouts, *Almost everything I got... Don't be too much of a dick about it because I'm a girl! I could be very strong too, you know? There is no need to be sexist!*

Sam bursts out in laughter. *"The girl could be very strong too, you know?"* He says in a sassy tone.

Jane turns around and shouts as loud as she can, *sexist!*

**love you too, Jane!**

*No, you don't!*

What is going on between these two? They don't realize it themselves...

**hmm...**

Jane asks Sam what he has been all about, but he smiles and tells her it is all okay.

*We should keep this whole thing to ourselves. I don't need to explain any of this to someone, not yet* he murmures to himself. They enter her room for Jane to change into "something more workshop-fitting.". She undresses in her bathroom while Sam awaits her in her bedroom.

Sam looks around in her room like he always does. Today, he notices something different. There is a new safe as large as a cupboard; it looks suspicious.
Why is it unlocked? Did she forget to do it before leaving Sam alone in her room?

Chapter 24, end.

********************