Chapter 22 - Light in the dark

********************

Eight months ago, 2036...

*Oh man, I finally figured it out! A way to adapt to every weather condition without getting sick first! Just wear a mask! Like the old days—the old virus-pandemic days! That's the key. Alright, now focus, Sam! You have to finish this school project. You didn't change universities for fun; you've gotta make this seem easy!*

Sam, an engineering student who changed facilities a few months ago, needs to figure it all out. He has moved out of his family home to start a life of his own.

Though he hasn't gotten full control yet, dumbass!

Right now he is working on a project he might introduce to his mates. He doesn't know what to call it or what it should look like; all he knows is that it has to fly, *it has to be amaaaaazing, it has to blow minds, and it has to be different! It is harder than I imagined. What do I do now that I have started? Everything would be easier if I had more knowledge or money, or maybe I had some kind of superpower. There, I wouldn't even have the idea of creating something to fulfill my greatest heart desire.*

He sighs continuously for minutes and decides to go outside and meet a girl friend of his.

*I hope she doesn't begin to like me less; that would be really hurtful, more than last time's incident. Nahhhh, impossible. She keeps smiling at me almost every time our eyes meet, and last year she gave me a compliment. I am cute! Ahhhhhhhh*

He lets out a high-pitched happy acream like a girl and wiggles his toes while leaning back on his chair.

*Alright, let's go!*

On his way to whom she calls "a girl friend..."

He decides to walk to her and spend almost the whole day hanging out at her place.

*We could go swimming or something.*

He is truly motivated.

Halfway to her place, the sky starts roaring and turns darker.

*Huh? What is this? I didn't hear anything about bad weather today... weird!* He runs as fast as he can to make it to his friend before the weather changes. Suddenly he hears a strange, deep, scary voice: *Wake up! Awaken, brother Sam, now!!*

A strong wind blows him away from his path. A barrier of light flashes in his direction; it shrinks in diameter and strikes his forehead. A heavy lightning burns his shirt and footwear off his body. Sam can't withstand the energy and loses consciousness. Dark marks with white, blue outer lines spread from his chest throughout his body and disappear from his feet up to his forehead.

A few hours later, after the sun sets and lets the night in...

Sam wakes up and sees himself wearing only pants.

*What just happened?
Wait, is it nighttime or is it because of the weather changing? Please tell me I didn't get knocked out and lost time, please?*

He looks at his phone to confirm the time.

*No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no... no, no!
It is already nine p.m.! That's bad—wow, perfect—and she has also tried contacting me a dozen times! Ow my head!*

Out of pain, he squeezes his head.

*A concussion, or maybe migraine?* Sam loses balance and falls back to the ground. He says to himself, *Maybe I should just rest a little till my head stops aching this much. Too bad I didn't bring a single bottle of water; somehow I'm also hungry. No, I am not weird!*

He is losing his mind!

He sighs as loudly as possible and gets back up just to lean on a tree. He raises his left hand. His bandage isn't there, and his wound is healed.

*Am I tripping or something? I broke my hand trying to catch a knife and cut myself in the process; shouldn't it at least be bleeding? How?*

He doesn't believe his eyes, and he keeps looking at and touching his healed wound. Such a fast healing ability shouldn't be possible, he thinks.

*Maybe I have superpowers or something, hahaha.* He laughs hysterically for a short moment and admits it is a stupid idea.

*Such a thing doesn't exist; everyone knows this.*

Does it?

After a couple of minutes, he can't believe „whatever is going on" and thinks, *Yeah, this doesn't make any sense at all, yepp, yes, I have to be dreaming or something; maybe a hard slap or pinch might do.*

He pinches and slaps himself; he hurts himself, but every time he does, it heals faster than him realizing he is hurt. *Oh yeah, that's a stupid idea. First of all, it hurts less than it should. Also, if I were to be dreaming, the idea of me inflicting pain on myself doesn't automatically drag me out of the dream; it becomes part of it. Thinking about a way to get out makes it a part of the dream.
Of course it wouldn't work!* He gives up his desperate attempts to free himself.

*This is a dream, right? So how about going home to rest? I can waste as much time as I want.* He walks off with a wide smile on his cheeks.

On his way back home, everything becomes brighter than it should be at this time of the day. He shouldn't be able to see every color this clearly. He shuts his eyelids.

*Why am I able to see through my eyelids? Why is it so bright? This dream is just getting weirder!*

His head aches. Suddenly, he is not able to breathe normally. *Wait, am I even breathing?* A voice further away calls out his name: *Sam, you are awake. You are awakening. Make it happen and come over, Sam!*

The voice repeats itself over and over again, each time deeper than before. Sam recognizes a familiar voice.

His headache isn't getting better. Rather, it gets worse as time passes. He falls to his knees and shouts in agony. He becomes psychologically unstable as he talks jibberish. A stone laying in his path catches his attention. He picks it up and throws it as hard and fast as possible.

And so it happens, the legendary protagonist is born...

Chapter 22, end.

********************