Chapter 25: Delaying the Inevitable

I tried so hard to stay awake.

"Terran," I heard Felix's voice say. "Please don't. Please don't leave me. I can't lose you again. Terran, I can't..."
Those were the last words I heard before I blacked out, before I succumbed to the darkness. This time it was different. This time I was fully aware of what was happening around me, but I couldn't tell why. If I had fallen out of conciseness then why could I still hear them? Why could I still barely feel the ups and downs of Felix running? The wind, brushing my hair into my face, tickling my nose.

"Don't worry child." A hushed whisper echoed. "You're going to be okay. The pain won't last for much longer."
"Who are you?" I called. But the sound didn't come from my mouth, but my brain. It felt as if I were in a cavern, an empty one. I felt alone. Vulnerable.
"I'm the gate keeper."
"What do you want?"
"I want you to join me."
"Where?"
"A place where you'll feel no pain. No hurt. No loneliness."
"Why should I go with you?"
There was a dark, secretive laugh. "Don't you know Terran? This place that I describe to you is a place you've always wanted to go. Where you'll feel welcome, with people who love you."
"I don't know what you're talking about."
The creature laughed again. I know for a fact snakes couldn't laugh, but if they could it would sound like his. It was evil, and even though his words were helpful, they didn't seem right. They were out of place. He shouldn't be here.
"Of course you do." he whispered. "Take my hand. Together we can walk through the gates and you'll be where you belong. You can be with Peter without feeling the guilt. Without hurting anyone, without having to live with the knowledge that you hurt Baelfire. That he's sitting somewhere, tied to a tree being beaten to the brink of death, and your wish is to be with Peter."
"No!" I shouted.
"Terran, you're only delaying the inevitable. It's going to happen. I will be back."
"Why?"
"Because you can't stop death. I will be back for you, sooner rather than later. And you're going to have no choice but to come with me."

I sat up choking on breaths. My eyes darted around frantically, searching for some sign that the creature was gone. I found something much better.
"Hey," Felix nodded. "As I live and breath!"
It took me a moment to figure out what was happening. Then I realized, I could see him. I could feel his hand squeezing mine. I could hear him clear as day. I was cured.
"You need to lay back down." he said with a laugh. "You took quite the beating."
"I took a beating? You look like you just got into a fight with a troll or something." I said reaching up to place my hand gently on his cheek. There was a large bruise and some dried blood, but other than that he seemed to be fine.
"Listen Terran," he said resting his hand on mine. "You need to rest. We'll talk about everything that happened. I promise."
"I want to know what happened. Now."
"We can't talk about it now."
"And why the hell not? I'm not a little girl anymore. You can't just leave me like you did with no explanation."
"Terran-"
"No, Felix. Now."
"You want to know what happened? We didn't make it in time to save Peter."